J.F. Custom "Von Trott" model Bouzouki

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

J.F. Custom "Von Trott" model Bouzouki

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi All.

Well this one has been a long time coming, but I finally have the monkey off my back. A pleasant monkey, but monkey nonetheless. I have worked on aspects of this instrument over a few years - a spare hour here and there when possible. It's a model I dreamed up several years ago and refined/modified over that time on paper and on the fly during construction. I bit like Nick, I tend to go with new whims and ideas to try, even though it makes it difficult to pinpoint success or failure to any one thing. Amongst several challenges I set myself, this time, I decided to try using an Ibex hand purfling cutter to do the purfling and binding. Very meditative; should your version of meditation include profuse sweating and the occasional expletive. Needless to say, I will be using the router jig again next time! How fortunate we are. I am pleased with the outcome although taking this long to construct has its hazards - it is not 100% flawless as a result, then again, what is, but I am very happy nevertheless.

What I am really impressed by is the sound! It has delivered what I hoped in that respect - full, rich, resonant, defined and sustains like nothing else! I would 'tweak' the design a little on the next build, as to be expected in further attempting to improve results. On that note - I sincerely look forward to building the next one; I'm excited about this little unit. I hope to get a recording but don't hold your breath unfortunately - I simply don't know anyone that plays that is available.

Oh, and btw, the 'Von Trott' model comes from a good friend saxophonist/mando player that shares an aspect of the name. It was he I originally inspired to make it for however, he has run off overseas to travel and make music in Europe with some young lass of similar whim whom he is to marry there... as you do. There goes my recording artist! Selfish pr.... Anyway, so while it is no longer for him, I kept the name.

The specs - This unit has a 22" Scale length; Highly Figured Blackwood back and sides; Sitka top; 50yr old Qld Maple neck, Ebony fretboard and bridge; Bone nut and saddle; Blackwood bindings, back graft and heel cap with Silver Ash purfling detail; tiled Ring Gidgee and Mulga - segmented and staggered rosette with matching 12th fret inlay; Schaller machine heads, tuned GDae. That should cover it. Any questions?

One thing I did on the tail graft - I didn't want the binding running right over the graft or vice versa as I wanted the grain to "integrate" as best as possible. Therefore I cut the graft and the bindings angled to all meet at a single point. Very happy with the result. And you've just got to love the chatoyance/play of light that figured blackwood exhibits - look at it end on and the pieces blend virtually seemlessly. Side on however and they completely change visually to make quite clear the joinery.

Sorry some of the images are a little blurry.

Thanks for looking.

Jeremy.
Attachments
jfcustom_rosette.jpg
jfcustom_rosette.jpg (322.18 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_front.jpg
jf_vtb_front.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_silking.jpg
jf_vtb_silking.jpg (152.24 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_whole.jpg
jf_vtb_whole.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_whole_back.jpg
jf_vtb_whole_back.jpg (103.98 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_graft2.jpg
jf_vtb_graft2.jpg (197.64 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
jf_vtb_graft.jpg
jf_vtb_graft.jpg (169.78 KiB) Viewed 22816 times
Last edited by J.F. Custom on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Admin

Re: J.F. Custom "Von Trott" model Bouzouki

Post by Kim » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Wow Jeremy, every inch a winner, exquisite work and some great ideas. Just love what you have done with the butt wedge and am sure to rob you of the idea at some stage.

A classic, well done. :cl :cl :cl

Kim

Dave Olds
Myrtle

Post by Dave Olds » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Fantastic :D :D

That is one beautiful looking instrument. It is always nice when great craftsmanship is coupled with great styling. I like everything about this instrument - the shape of the headstock, the understated white purfling, the tail graft - and I have always been a fan of your segmented rosettes. ( I gotta try one of those some day ).

The bar just keeps getting higher.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm

One word
Gaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeoussssssssss.

Love it Jeremy, I admit I do have a bit of a love of figured Blackwood and the combinations of silver ash and subtle colouring of the neck & the silking of the spruce & all excellently executed. I agree with Dave too, your rosettes are inspirational, you must show us how you achieve them ,unless of course it's commercially sensitive :lol: :lol: .

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Wow, Von Trott's lass had better be quite a looker, with a great voice to be any competition to this instrument. I predict a quick annulment, and a flight back from Europe when he sees these pictures.

Dennis

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Well that just hits the spot for me, love it all.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Wow that is beautiful

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Beautiful, beautiful work Jeremy. It is one tasty instrument. Nice looking lump of Spruce too!

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:15 pm

I feel the same as everyone else Jeremy. What an outstanding instrument. Thanks for the pics.

Cheers

Alan

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Pure pron Jeremy. I am also in awe! A sound clip would be welcome.

What finish did you use to pop the spruce?

Matt_Blacka
Beefwood

Post by Matt_Blacka » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Wow, I think that's probably one of the nicest looking instruments I've seen Jeremy.

I love your style when it comes to the details like the purflings, binding, rosette etc. Simple but complex all at the same time.

Matt

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:17 pm

It's all just wonderful, but Gawd that rosette is simply stunning. I'm a big fan of your work Jeremy.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm

I'd like to add my voice to the accolades Jeremy. It is simply stunning.

It makes me want to give up at the same time as inspiring me to do better.

Thanks for the pictures, hurry up with the sound file please.

Cheers
Richard

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm

For the longest time a Lowden has been on my desktop. Not any more. I'll rotate through these pictures.

Might take one or two and get them turned into a poster for the shop. It'll be tough deciding, but I have very little open wall space.

jb2060
Sassafras

Post by jb2060 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Jeremy,

Not much more to add beyond what has already been said. Wonderful work - such nice ideas, balanced and gorgeous to look at.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Nice work as usual Jeremy....

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Wow, thanks all, glad you like it - your specific comments and compliments are all really appreciated.

Kim, who better to rob me (?) and the highest praise.
Dave, glad you like the style - I'm happy with this design and will persue it. I'm already cutting timber for the next.
Nick, thats one heck of a single word :) Next time I do this rosette or an incarnation of it, I'll take some pictures and perhaps do a tute if you think it would be wanted.
Dennis Ha :D Not likely I'm afraid, he's head over heels and good luck to him :wink: He has seen it and loves it though.
Thanks Taff and Jeff, good to know I've made something that appeals to others than myself :roll:
Cheers Bob, the silking and subtle figure of the spruce did show up nicely.
Thanks Alan, with all the playing you do, if only you were close enough to me, I might get that recording others want!
Sebastian, it took me a loooong time to work out your typo... Thanks though and we'll see what can happen with a sound byte.
Matt, other than your own ones right? :wink: :) Your last statement though is my taste in a nutshell I think.
Thanks Allen, high praise from you.
Cheers Richard! You can't give up - I was told I was dreaming when I started at 16 odd years old; and I've never stopped dreaming since 8) Sound files sound files... bane of my existence...
Lillian you are far too kind. Toppled the Lowden BWAH HA HA HA.... erm I mean, what a shame. :lol: Kinda weird to think of my instrument adorning a screen in USA. Let alone a poster - steady on! I think unfortunately at 72dpi screen res though, a print may look more like a lego bouzouki! Despite whether you said this in jest, I appreciate the meaning - glad you like it.
Jason, thanks for looking and your comments again.
Martin, ahhh a man of many words... my response to you - ta ! :D

Jeremy.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Jeremy, I wasn't jesting.

If you are willing, I'll take copies of the uncompressed photos. I promise to treat them with respect. I'll only sell them if I can get more than a mill for them. Anything less and they will stay tucked away in my gallery of guitars that have impressed me.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Wow, that is a beautiful instrument. You've certainly got an eye for detail.

very nice.

Liam

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and comments.

I'm happy to say I have a little sound demo of this one. It was dropped into the "Guitar Gallery" some time ago and the owner - Gerry Hale is an accomplished musician. Among other things, he plays Mandolin. So as soon as I dropped in with it - he took it out and played for some time. Beautiful playing too! I said if I'd known he was going to do that, I would have recorded it to which he said he was happy to do some recording for me.

HAPPY DAYS!! So a big "THANKS" goes out to Gerry for this basic demo. Raw and unedited so take the sound on your computer with a grain of salt but...

You can hear the sustain of it somewhat at the end.

youtu.be/

Enjoy. (This means you Pete Howlett...) :wink: :lol:

Jeremy.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Yet another revived thread. Thanks to the resuscitators! :cl

Pictures now back, or these ones are - be they the same or different.

As a final update, this unit didn't last long in the shop and now has a very happy new home. 8)

Thanks for looking.

Jeremy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:08 am

Glad this one has been revived, I still drool when I look at it Jeremy.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.