Virtual Tour of Aladdin's Cave

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

John Maddison
Blackwood

Virtual Tour of Aladdin's Cave

Post by John Maddison » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm

G'day All

Last week Peter Young and I had to do an over night work trip to Perth, and like any self-respecting instrument makers we just HAD to call in on our good pal Tim Spittle, who has been a regular visitor to us all in Albany, usually with a boot-load of bounty. Here's a few snaps of his Aladdin's Cave; suffice to say we made it out alive but with wallets that much lighter. He did explain upon our arrival that he's just recently had a bit of a tidy-up :shock:.

We can certainly confirm that Tim is very generous with the deals he does for forum members ...

ONE
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (152.98 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
TWO
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
THREE
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg (152.44 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
FOUR
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
FIVE
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
SIX
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg (158.1 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
SEVEN
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg (151.06 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
EIGHT
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg (152.88 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
John M

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Virtual Tour of Aladdin's Cave

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:57 am

Geez, good to see the new catalogueing system & neatly stacked racks there Tim :lol: I feel a Tim the toolman grunt coming on. I guess that's what tonewood heaven looks like John, no wonder your wallet had a hard job staying closed.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I had the pleasure of visiting the Spittlery a few years ago. Tim is a good guy with a great business.
make mine fifths........

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm

I'll take 4 , 6 and 7 please, otherwise Martin will get them.............. :wink:
Richard

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:10 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:I had the pleasure of visiting the Spittlery a few years ago. Tim is a good guy with a great business.
We couldn't agree more, Sebastiaan ... Tim has ALWAYS done the right thing by us since we started our instrument making group in Albany in 2005. Despite the apparent chaos alluded to in the images above, Tim has an uncanny knack of knowing exactly where everything is stacked, can lay his hands on just about any species of tonewood known to luthiery, and is always prepared to do great deals.
John M

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Must agree, Tim seems to know each slice from each billet he has ever cut by name. I have been spoiled on many occasions as he has pulled apart many carefully stickers stacks of sets only for the sake of show and tell and discussion. It really is a special treat to pay Tim a visit, it's like mecca for instrument makes, everyone should make the pilgrimage at least once in their life.

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:23 am

John FM wrote: Tim has an uncanny knack of knowing exactly where everything is stacked, can lay his hands on just about any species of tonewood known to luthiery, and is always prepared to do great deals.
It's amazing isn't it! We have a shop here in Christchurch that sells tinned & packaged foodstuffs from overseas, the stuff is literally stacked floor to ceiling (& all over the floor also) & in an apparently random order but ask the guy where such & such is and he knows exactly where it is & goes straight to it.
Good on ya Tim, top guy. :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm

As is my way I stumbled upon this Aladdin's cave and felt like I had been caught with my pants down!!! Hmmmmmm. I would suggest the current arrangement reflects the predominant state of my mind over recent months. I guess I will have to rehabilitate myself and improve the order in my shelved by posting an "after" post. John has given you the before, so I must as must must do and give you the after!!!! Keep watching this spot
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:20 pm

TimS wrote:
I guess I will have to rehabilitate myself and improve the order in my shelved by posting an "after" post. John has given you the before, so I must as must must do and give you the after!!!! Keep watching this spot
My preferred state of the shelves........Tim's empty..mine full. :mrgreen:
Martin

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:25 pm

TimS wrote:As is my way I stumbled upon this Aladdin's cave and felt like I had been caught with my pants down!!! Hmmmmmm ... Keep watching this spot
Hi Tim
Please don't feel you should be challenged into re-arranging the wood shop because of these images, or that I was trying to undermine your efficiencies & methods-of-working in any way. Personally, I thought the place looked pretty organised when we visited last week, especially the newly built dry-out racks under cover out the back! You're to be commended for the improvements you've made to the building in recent times, and I got the feeling you are a lot happier working in your new 'home' these days.

A Man's Shed is His Castle
:wink:.

Kindest regards ...
John M

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Your totally right John! I think the new arrangement is much better but it can be a lot better. So now as I am just about into holiday mode it should be resolved.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Gotta love holidays! Look forward to seeing you again down this way some time in the New Year.
John M

bunker
Beefwood

Post by bunker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi everyone, Tim especially.
I had the pleasure a couple of weeks ago on a southern foraging trip to finally get to meet Tim in his lair whilst picking up an order and have been meaning to message him and say what a joy it was to get to see his shed and it's contents as well as his good self face to face. I have had a little difficulty sleeping since then and have found it hard to explain to others what is secreted away behind that quiet, unassuming Bassendean facade so thank you John for the pictures and Tim it was refreshing to see that there are others out there that also enjoy a state of ordered chaos. Have a happy holiday. By the way, the wood is tremendous and thanks again.
Archie

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Dang it! That's a heap load of wood there Tim.

I'm happy to say that I've been able to work with some of Tim's fine materials over the last little while. Sure like the wood down unda fellas.

Here's some fine Tassie blackwood from Tim waiting to get rubbed and buffed.

"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue