Just Finished, the "Black Ant"

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Just Finished, the "Black Ant"

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 pm

This my latest finished build, a solid body [with cavities] based on the Tele thinline style.

As my guitars are given a name taken from the local gold mining history of the Charters Towers goldfields, this guitar I have called “Black Ant” after a mine that was once in the Charters Towers district.

I started two of these guitars some months ago, one using Alder with a Burdekin Plum cap, and this one using NG Rosewood and the cap I believe is called Brown Salwood. This was rather a quick build for me even though constant rain over the last 4-5 weeks messed with the finishing process.

The young guy who this guitar will team up with has a passion for things Spanish, but did not want a Spanish guitar, he wanted an electric. He left me an open canvas for the build and did not even specify any Spanish themes. However I did try to incorporate a bit of a Spanish feel to the guitar, I don’t know if I was successful or not.

The Peghead inlay is a copy of a Spanish ceremonial sword in pearl.
Other details:
Body and neck: NG Rosewood
Top Cap, control cavity plate, back leave inlay and truss rod cover: Brown Salwood
Fingerboard: Ebony. I had first used a solid black piece, but ended up using a board with some brown figure in it..
Peghead overlays: EI Rosewood
Inlays: MOP
Pickups: EMG
Control knobs: capped with ebony.

I found it very frustrating trying to get the photos I liked, and had to take pictures in different locations, even then some timber came out looking different, when to the naked eye they looked fine. Anyway here’s the “Black Ant”
warts and all. Thanks for looking. Sorry about the extra photo????
DSCF5431.JPG
DSCF5431.JPG (27.68 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5448.JPG
DSCF5448.JPG (56.85 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5450.JPG
DSCF5450.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5453.JPG
DSCF5453.JPG (34.07 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5445.JPG
DSCF5445.JPG (29.87 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5456.JPG
DSCF5456.JPG (37.67 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5461.JPG
DSCF5461.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCF5459.JPG
DSCF5459.JPG (45.32 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
[
DSCF5463.JPG
DSCF5463.JPG (40.29 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
Attachments
DSCF5431.JPG
DSCF5431.JPG (27.68 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
Taff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Just Finished, the "Black Ant"

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Cool Tele Taffy, but what are those inserts under the neck screws, I have been considering something like that and was going to turn them up myself on a lathe, did you buy them of make them? Could I get a better look please? perhaps of a individual insert?

Jim

Someone please turn up the Tele!
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey Taff,

Lovely clean work there mate. I've heard of Brown Salwood but not seen or used it to my knowledge. If I didn't know better now, I'd have guessed stained American Ash with that bold grain. Love the side "pinstripes" where you have re-joined the body and the clever way you have continued that into the neck and headstock - very neat. Not sure if I get 'Spanish' from it, though that's a tall order given it's more or less a modified Tele Thinline.

On a side note, I have used Burdekin Plum before. I've heard it is quite variable but the piece I had was beautiful in both colour and lustre/chatoyance. Pity it is not readily available that I am aware of. I'd be interested in your thoughts about it.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Great work Taffy, the purfling lay out is very classy and the over all look it cool. Must say that the Brown Salwood looks a great deal like Korina aka black limba...love it.

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:58 am

Great job Taffy, looks excellent & I too, like your touches with the purflings 'turning the corner' especially on the rear of the headstock. :cl :cl :cl

Jim, Stewmac are one supplier of the neck screw ferrules, that I know of. I used similar ones on a Tele I made, they look 'neater' than a plate to me.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 am

That's one great looking guitar Taffy. I love the purfling lines. Very classy details to incorporate into a tele. A one of a kind to be sure.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 am

Very nice Taff, especially the purfs. I love the way you've transitioned them into the headstock.

Very neat instrument.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:54 am

G'day Taffy,

I love the Tele and like most of the others, dig the purfling lines. The Brown Salwood has a very earthy look and the inlay work is supurb. I like the shape of the headstock too!

Thanks for the pictures

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:24 am

This is going to be a long thread of congratulations, well done Taffy!
make mine fifths........

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:23 am

Hi everyone, thanks for looking and for the comments.
Jim: as you know know the inserts come from Stumac. They are also used when body contours of back are shaped for better access around the cutaway area as they can be spaced as required.

Jeremy: Yes I wished the B Plum was easier to get. I cut mine from a length of trunk I was given some years ago. It seems to work ok and of course its easy to get a good finish on. It seems to change colour dramatically when photographed in different light environments.
I have been having to use four pieces butted together to get a full guitar size cap. And you have got to beat the woodturners off to get to it, if you want some.
Taff