Archtop

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

AidanHarris
Kauri

Archtop

Post by AidanHarris » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:08 pm

So after what would be 4 or 5 weeks of being finished I have finally got some photos. I have an excuse of my camera breaking and getting a new one for christmas but still.

So I used the Benedetto book to do this, its only a 16 inch body not the 17 in from the book and i did my own version of "f" holes on this.

I used western red for the top.
tassy blackwood for the back and sides
ebony for the rest. (granted i bought the bridge)

It was a real learning curve and has sparked something in me and I already have plans to make alot more guitars. so I am sorry but you all will be answering my questions from now on....your stuck with me.

It has a few little issues that i need to work out, but nothing that stops me playing it. I was surprised at how good it sounds very mellow and has loud bass tones. it is a little thin with the higher register but i didnt expect the worlds best guitar on my first try. all in all it took me about 96 hours to make from rough wood to playing a song. so it was alot quicker than i thought it was going to be.

enjoy
Aidan
Attachments
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0130.jpg
DSC_0132.jpg
The best wood is in the crotch

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Archtop

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Wow....that's really a great first effort, and reading your intro I was surprised when I scrolled down to see the pictures. When I hear arch top I just automatically think cutaway, and here you did something outside the square.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Great work Aidan, in fact for a first effort she's outstanding.

Good to hear you will be sticking around, quite an infectious pursuit isn't it. :wink:

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Well done Aidan, looks like you are off to a great start.

Jim

Botanical names rock!
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice job Aidan, I'm liking the timbers you've used and to 'stray' from the traditional "f" soundholes on your first & have them work... I admire your pluck :wink: Well done.
When you scaled down the lower bout size did you do the same for the upper bout? It just looks a little 'out of proportion' to my eye (infact the 2nd picture in the series, with the perspective taken into account, almost makes the upper look bigger than the lower) and seems to 'accentuate' the longer flat area either side of the neck as opposed to the nicely rounded 'arse end' . A small critique that doesn't detract too much from my liking what you have achieved. :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

AidanHarris
Kauri

Post by AidanHarris » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for all the feed back. I agree about the upper bouts looking a bit too big. it only looked out of whack when i had gotten to far with it. One of the learning curves you get with these things. Its amazing how one little detail can throw your eye off. I;m not saying its ugly but its not what you would see as normal. lets hope that the ones to come dont have the same issues :)

Aidan
The best wood is in the crotch

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Great job Aidan! Especially seen that it is your first guitar build. I've built a few acoustics now and I'm about to start an archtop. Like you I will be following the Benedetto book and I've bought his dvds too! Should be fun!

Thanks for your pictures and sharing your first build with us.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Nice work Aidan, pretty gutsy to start with an archtop. But the carving process is so much fun. The first guitar is always special and glad you have caught the bug. Bob's dvds are great aren't they? Nothing beats seeing it being done by one of the greats and he has a real knack for explaining things without making it sound too complex.
Looking forward to seeing more archtops from you and the other guys soon.
I finished my first archtop a few months ago and love the fat sound. A friend has it at the moment to do some recording of his original songs. I just hope I can get it back from him. He had that look in his eye that suggested I might not.
Cheers Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!