Black Heart Sassafras Tenor Ukulele

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Black Heart Sassafras Tenor Ukulele

Post by Allen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am

Those do look good Jim. And they certainly could be an option for a more modern look. I've not seen anyone doing a slot head that goes with a thin head stock, probably because there just aren't any readily available tuners. Do you have any idea what a set of those tuners would cost?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 am

Allen wrote:Those do look good Jim. And they certainly could be an option for a more modern look. I've not seen anyone doing a slot head that goes with a thin head stock, probably because there just aren't any readily available tuners. Do you have any idea what a set of those tuners would cost?
Hi Allen,

They are not a cheap option to be sure. The guitar sets sell at Australian Luthiers Supplies for $115 to 130. The "uke" sets they have for about $80, but they are not the ones suited to slot heads. Overseas, shops such as Allparts sell them for even more again... US $190 ! :shock:

So the breakdown (two guitar sets = 3 uke sets) is likely to be in the range of $80 per uke set - certainly a deal more than your current option on this uke above. May be limited to an "upgrade" option for potential buyers?

Jeremy.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 pm

That's why you don't see them on ukes. :shock: It's tough enough getting a decent price for an instrument without plunking more into the materials and hardware than most people want to spend on the whole instrument.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Yep I reckon you are right $80 is a bit steep but they would make for something different and get that thickness down, if I ever get around to another direct buy off Gotoh I will see what I can do about that retail price.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield