My first Petite Jumbo is completed.

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

My first Petite Jumbo is completed.

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Here is some pictures of my first fat bottom girl (petite Jumbo). Overall dimensions similar to OM with a 25.4" scale.

Top___California Red Wood
Back/Sides___Mahogany (not sure what type)
Neck___Mahogany
Fret Board___Madagascar Rosewood
Bridge ___Madagascar Rosewood
Nut/Saddle___MOP
Bindings___Qld. Walnut
Tuners___Gotoh 510's
Truss Rod___Gotoh
Bracing___7X13mm Engelman on top. Mahogany on back
Finish__Mirotone Catalyzed Lacquer over WEST Systems epoxy pore filler
Total weight___1750 grams...or 3.85 lbs

This was my first attempt at my own design, so I went for some really inexpensive wood to try some things out. I've never used either mahogany or Red Wood and is the first sound port I've installed. First bound peg head. First time with 7X13 bracing, and first time to stop x-braces just before the linings in the lower bout. Also came up with a bridge design that I quite like the lines on and will continue to use.

Thing is, it's by far the most responsive, best sounding instrument that I've built. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke.

I did have a couple of problems building, and I'll tell you all what they were so those of you starting out will know that all of us make mistakes and hopefully you will learn by fixing them up as you go along.

The first was having a dyslexic moment cutting the rosette channel and having to fix it by putting 2 rings of shell. but that's a feature isn't it.:D

I also cut the sound port before I bent the sides, and I won't do that again. The side becomes very fragile with the hole cut in it, and it would be much better to do this once it has been bent and linings at least glued in. And the worst feature that I'm buggered if I know how I stuffed up is that I cut the first fret too short and ended up having to glue in a filler piece. It's not an invisible repair, but it shows that it was hand made by someone that can stuff up now and then.:lol:

And now onto the show.

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Allen,

Very nice guitar and I'd say it's no fluke that it sounds so good. Making your own design is very liberating and I hope it's the route you take in the future. Personally I think that some builders get too tied in to "set plans" that are followed to the micromillimetre - when you do your own it makes you home in and think about the important things and means you can alter things with confidence and home in on your own sound and design. Good on yah!!

You say that the woods were inexpensive but they make for an elegant classy design that will more than hold it's own with the zoot-tastic guitars.

I agree with you on the first law of guitar cock-ups - make it big bold and a feature!! I have actually learned more long term from such cock-ups than when things go smoothly and some surprising and very useful new tricks/features have emerged from these.

Lovely finish too - but that goes without saying 8)

I'd love to hear some sound clips.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I like that a lot.

The rosette looks great, and therefore intentional.

I like the bridge too, similar to the shape I've been trying to achieve, so it must be good :lol:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:35 pm

I lost count on the number of bridges that I've made in the last 6 months, trying to find a design that appealed to me and had an adequate glue foot print, yet was small enough to bring our native timbers into a weight zone that I could use them.

It's also a very difficult thing to take pictures of when it's got a high gloss. You either get too many reflections in it, or there is so much glare that you loose all detail. I was trying to get these shots done as the sun went down behind the hills, but a rain cloud came over and started to sprinkle. Might try some more at a later date.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Beautiful work Allen,

The finish shines like morning dew, it looks dipped and still wet, wonderful. I like the double ring ab as well and I think the 7 x 13 bracing coupled with the redwood is a good part of why this one is so responsive. Leaving the lower bout free to move could not hurt either. Tell me, what is the headway like? Can it be played with a heavier hand without breaking up??

Must add that I realy like the fine understated purfling work as well Allen, very tasteful.

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:05 pm

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet. So far I haven't been able to overdrive it, but then I wasn't really trying either.

It still needs some work on the saddle. Getting a slight sitar ring from the high E and G string when the strings are fretted. I'm going to let it settle in for a few weeks, then have a look at lowering the action at the saddle as well. It's been kept in my RH controlled room, so when it has to start to live out in the real world all kinds of things might happen.

It's is amazingly loud too. I don't know if that is just my perception because of the sound port, but my wife says that it certainly sounds louder to her from across the room. The sustain is something I really impressed with as well. The tuners are the 250 gram Gotoh's and the truss rod is quite heavy as well. This in part may have a bearing on this. Truth be told, it's probably a little neck/head heavy, but not so bad that it's unbalanced. I could shave off 70-100 grams if I went with open back tuners, and then some more with the Allied Truss Rod. Will it make a difference....I suppose we will have to see. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Terrific work Allen.

I like the new bridge shape - very subtle.

What sort of style of playing do you think it suits?

Bob

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Hey Allen that is one beautiful guitar. Congratulations, be proud!!!!

Cheers

Alan

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:36 am

I like! Nothing like a big bottomed girl, all shiny and wet looking, reminds me of... Ooops, wrong forum :oops:

Great looking guitar! Good job of covering up the mistakes, the rosette looks great!

I can relate to the joy of designing your own instrument, I've never built from a commercial plan.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 am

Very nice geetar Allen and I love the shape!!! I am partial to fat bottomed girls and this reminds me of one :D

The finish looks excellent too!

Congrats on a job VERY well done M8!!! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 am

Allen,

I like everything about this PJ guitar, from the wood selection to the appointments. The double ring rosette works, maybe because the Redwood top is darker. I like the port, and the location of the port makes sense to me. I have been seeing a number of steelstring guitars with ports way up above the upper bout next to the neck, which might make sense for a classical, but (to me) not for a steelstring. Your port placement looks like it will bring the music right to the player.

Well done!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:16 am

Love the shape of this...

Stunning!!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 am

bob wrote:Terrific work Allen.

I like the new bridge shape - very subtle.

What sort of style of playing do you think it suits?

Bob
I made the nut 1 3/4 wide and the pins 2 1/4 wide. Just that bit more than my other guitars thinking that it may be better for finger style, and my less than dainty hands are finding it easier to fret the strings I intend without touching the ones next to them.

Thanks everyone.

I was going to make these plans available to anyone that wants them. It's just a top with bracing layout with a few notes. If anyone is interested just let me know.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 am

Hi Allen,

Im going to add to the comments above, there is nothing I dont like about this guitar. Im still on #1 and agree with the comments about learning from your stuff ups. The finish is gorgeous, the shape is well... not Kylie and very nice, and the overall standard is very high. I think the Mahogony may be plantation which Kim has mentioned before. I seem to have scored some as well. What was the Redwood like to work?

Sebastiaan

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:34 am

G'day Allen,
This guitar is a complete " Knock out ". I love every thing about it . It's a beautiful shape you have. I too, like to design my own. Gives it a heap of " style ".

Must be fate that made you change the rosette , as it really suits the guitar ( I'm a bit of a bling freak and love Paua ).

The finish looks top notch Allen and you have done fantastic work with the tail graft.

A beautiful instrument Allen and beautiful craftsmanship !

:cl :cl :cl

Cheers Craig

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 am

Allen, she looks FANTASTIC! Love that soundport too! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

I wish we could listen to a soundfile my friend , way to go!

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I was going to make these plans available to anyone that wants em. It's just a top with bracing layout with a few notes. If anyone is interested just let me know.
Hi Allen,

I would like a copy of your plan. Thanks for the offer!!!

Cheers

Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:54 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:Hi Allen,

Im going to add to the comments above, there is nothing I dont like about this guitar. Im still on #1 and agree with the comments about learning from your stuff ups. The finish is gorgeous, the shape is well... not Kylie and very nice, and the overall standard is very high. I think the Mahogony may be plantation which Kim has mentioned before. I seem to have scored some as well. What was the Redwood like to work?

Sebastiaan
I was thinking the same thing when Kim mentioned about his having rope like fiber bundles wanting to pull out when he was removing tape. The same thing happened to me when I was doing the end graft. I was much more cautious after that.

The Red Wood is alright to work with, but you do have to be very careful. It will ding and scratch quite easily. It was like a wet noodle across the grain, but I read on the OLF that this is really common with Red Wood. It's the first time I had a piece in my hands, so I couldn't say one way or the other.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback. This one was #5 so I have a very long way to go before I envision being able to build one of these without some sort of a stuff up, and getting a sound that I'm planning on. Right now each one is a surprise.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

ozziebluesman wrote:
I was going to make these plans available to anyone that wants em. It's just a top with bracing layout with a few notes. If anyone is interested just let me know.
Hi Allen,

I would like a copy of your plan. Thanks for the offer!!!

Cheers

Alan
I've done the plans in Adobe Illustrator. I can give you the plans in several formats, as well as a PDF. Tell me what you would prefer and I will get them out to you.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Allen,

Great looking Guitar, I love the choice of tonewoods.
Nice straight grain woods, are the look of quality in my old school eyes.
Ya it must of been fate with that rosette, it looks great with that redwood.

Could you set me straight on what Qld. is, as in the Qld. walnut bindings.
I have seen other use this before, but im confussed. Is it for Quilted?

Thanks
Tom

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Tom Morici wrote:Allen,

Thanks
Tom
Hey Tom, the QLD stand for Queensland, the second greatest state in Australia after WA :lol: 8)

Here we go :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 pm

QLD is short for Queensland Tom

The states here in Australia are:

VIC - Victoria
TAS - Tasmania
NSW - New South Wales
WA - Western Australia
SA - South Australia
ACT - Australian Capital Territory
NT - Northern Territory

Whew. I'm pleased we haven't got 52 like you blokes in the US.

Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 pm

WA is the only state that I haven't been in Kim, so I'll defer to your judgment. :D

I've been back and forth over a lot of the rest of it. Living in a 14 foot caravan for 1 1/2 years, and loving it. The only problem with that lifestyle is where to put the band saw?
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Tom Morici wrote:Allen,

Great looking Guitar, I love the choice of tonewoods.
Nice straight grain woods, are the look of quality in my old school eyes.
Ya it must of been fate with that rosette, it looks great with that redwood.

Thanks
Tom
I'm building 2 identical PJ's out of Qld. Walnut with different tops Tom.

These bindings are off cuts from the sides of some of the same wood. Qld. Walnut comes in all kinds of colors, ranging from this very dark chocolate brown in the heart wood to light amber in the sap wood. It can have stripes of grey and mauve.

Overall it's a great wood that is native to North Queensland. It's very hard and quite difficult to resaw. A great deal of the forest here is designated as "World Heritage" now, so Qld. Walnut can be difficult to source. The fellow that I got this from gets lots of salvage work, as well as clearing private land.

Takes the edge of tools and sandpaper pretty quickly as well.

Keep watching for progress pictures on the next 2 guitars.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 pm

bob wrote:QLD is short for Queensland Tom

The states here in Australia are:

VIC - Victoria
TAS - Tasmania
NSW - New South Wales
WA - Western Australia
SA - South Australia
ACT - Australian Capital Territory
NT - Northern Territory

Whew. I'm pleased we haven't got 52 like you blokes in the US.

Bob
Something Bob forgot to mention is that the above are all states of New Zealand :eyes :bum