My First Nylon.

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

My First Nylon.

Post by ozwood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi All,

This is My first Nylon , it was a Steep learning Curve, Although I did have some Guidance from my mate Justin Montifiore. It was made for the same guy who I made the black and white Tele (guitar , not TV set) :? for , his brief was," I hate the feel of all the Nylon's I have tried, I hate the Look of all the Nylon's I have seen, I want it too feel like a Steel string in terms of the neck , I want it to look different from a Normal Nylon , I want to it to have a Pickup that reproduces the sound of the guitar , not the strings , and I want it to be Cutaway" . So This is what I have come up with, I used a plan as a rough guide , It has Falcate Bracing , but instead of a Transverse brace , It has a plywood ring around the soundhole that blend's up into the sides and becomes part of the neck block , It then has a Transverse brace that is 10mm down off the soundboard that supports the soundhole ring, and is attached by small blocks to the sides at the waist , with flying braces coming off that junction back to tailblock , Think Smallman meets Gore. the linings around the top are Laminated , the Neck is Bolt On , Bob Connor Style . The back and Sides are Monteray Cypress and the Top is Sitka , the Neck is QLD maple with a Rosewood lamination , the Binding's and Headplate are also EIR , the Pickup Is the K&K Ultra Pure active . It took ages to Complete and has caused it's headaches , But I'm well chuffed with the final result , as for the Sound I have nothing to compare it with , So i'll take it for a visit to Jeff and let him give his Critique, but for my money it sounds pretty good .

Cheers
Attachments
Nylon 11.jpg
Nylon 10.jpg
nylon 9.jpg
nylon 8.jpg
Nylon 7.jpg
Nylon 6.jpg
Nylon 5.jpg
Nylon 4.jpg
Nylon 3.jpg
Nylon 2.jpg
Nylon 1.jpg
Paul .

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: My First Nylon.

Post by woodrat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Paul wrote..."But I'm well chuffed with the final result"

....so you aught to be Paul, that's a beautiful result! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Nice work Paul......I love the clean simple lines on this guitar.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:49 am

I like that a lot Paul. Any chance you got some pictures of the internals?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 am

I want! :D What a beauty, I love the colour/wood combinations & the lines are so clean you could cut your fingers on it. Excellent work Paul, if your customer isn't happy with it smack him over the head with the Tele & send this gem to me! :)
Like Allen, the internals have tweaked my interest so any shots of that would be very much appreciated. :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks for posting the pics of your guitar Paul. It certainly is a classy looking instrument. I do like the look of the Cyprus and your detail is impecable.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Gents,

Thanks for your generous Praise , I have a photographic memory , so It often never Occurs to me to Take Construction photo's , Now after using a makeup compact and a shitty camera I wished I had , So it's the best I can do, Sorry , But I did a Mock up using a MDF template, a "Opps I F#@* that up" soundhole support and a peice of Bracing to give you the concept !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: .
Attachments
Int 7.jpg
my very poor mock up , with penciled in roughly, Falcate bracing.
int 3.jpg
int 5.jpg
Sound hole support and T. V . Brace Junction , the T.V. Brace sits down about 12 mm from the Sounboard and clears the Falcate braces by about 7-8 mm
int 2.jpg
same again different angle.
int 11.jpg
The junction of the suspended Transvers brace, the flying brace going back to the tail block and the block , attachted to the waist, with some wiring attatched.
Paul .

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Congrats on completing such a wonderful guitar Paul . Not often we see a florentine on a classical , but why not ?.
Your Smallman meets Gore bracing set-up looks interesting . Wish I could hear it ,or better still ,play it. Love the wood choices too. Blondes have more fun right ?? Great work Paul.
Craig Lawrence

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:06 am

Congrats!

My first thought was: "Cutaway meets soundhole"!

...and: "It looks great"! (of course).
ozwood wrote:his brief was," I hate the feel of all the Nylon's I have tried, I hate the Look of all the Nylon's I have seen, I want it too feel like a Steel string in terms of the neck , I want it to look different from a Normal Nylon , I want to it to have a Pickup that reproduces the sound of the guitar , not the strings , and I want it to be Cutaway"
And here I thought: "I simply would have told him it would be a steel string then"! :lol:

So I think you completed a Mission Impossible! :cl :D
Craig wrote:Not often we see a florentine on a classical , but why not ?.
Because a a nylon string guitar with a florentine cutaway is not (yet) classical! :mrgreen: (It's "only" a nylon string guitar).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:59 pm

I totally Agree Markus ,

I have never Called it a Classical , Just a Nylon In fact we should call it a " contempary " I love a Challenge, I'm not Bound by fixed Idea's of what I beleive an Instrument should be, I believe within reason , that It's OK to Push the Boundries, I'm Lucky to be Mentored and support by a builder Like Justin Montifiore, and to have a Muso like the guy that this Instrument is going to , to give me the trust to make an instrument like this .

It is what it is , and my measue of success it the Guy who's Playing it loves it.

Cheers,
Paul .

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:33 pm

What a beautiful guitar Paul !!!!
love that you used Cypress, (I think its a really underated tonewood), and that you really pushed the design good on you !!
love the contrast with the binding really crisp clean lines !!!
I wonder if has a Flamenco kinda sound to it?

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Well having played the guitar the other day, I can say Paul has certainly achieved his design goals on this.
It's a beautiful instrument as you can see.
Playability is fantastic, with the neck width, thickness and action closer to a steel string than to most classicals.
Sound is clear,full and even with a lot of sustain, more classical than flamenco.
Plugged in the sound was very natural, but with enough bite to cut though. definitely no UST twang with the K&K's and could get to quite high levels without feedback.
The new owner should be delighted.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:05 am

Well done Paul :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Impressive look and innovative design. The bindings frame out the blonde wood beautifully. I would love to hear what you have accomplished with your Gorogyi fusion bracing.

Cheers

Kim

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:39 am

I'll ask the new owner to do a MP3 file of a song , and post the Link when he does .

Cheers,
Paul .

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Post by Pappy Green » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:35 pm

well chuffed indeed Paul

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 pm

What can I say that hasn't been said, magnificent :cl

love the contrast with the binding :cl

Congratulations :cl
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon