Archie's No5

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bunker
Beefwood

Archie's No5

Post by bunker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:52 am

Greetings from Geraldton,
I actually finished this one before Xmas but a clapped out hard drive and a few other projects have put the posting on the back burner. Got a new IMac and in the process of learning to drive it I thought I would finally get this together.
Last year I got Ervin's books and this guitar is in response to reading them, notably a lighter, more responsive top. It is my own design based on an OM. It is 20" in body, 15" lower bout, 95mm at heel and 105mm at tail. It has a 650mm scale with the design placing the saddle at the mid point between tail and upper transverse brace. The top is double X brace and the back is X brace lower bout with 2 ladder braces in the upper area.
Again the wood is from Tim Spittle and is Lutz Spruce top, WA Sheoak back, sides and neck, Mulga head plates, fret board and bridge. The bindings are figured Sheoak, the rosette is Tassie Blacwood with all the purflings and head veneers being native Australian timbers blackwood, myrtle, hoop pine and Qld maple. The guitar has 28 and 15 ft radius.
I had only just finished French polishing a few days before the pics were taken and on this one I used the U-Beaut Hard Shellac for the first time and while waiting for it to cure completely before buffing out I strung it up for the first time so when all has settled in I can pull it apart agin, buff the finish and then do a much closer set up and it has not moved since.
The sound is very strong and rich with good note separation. The thinner top makes it ideal for finger style but I don't think I would amplify it and play it onstage, not at any volume anyway.
The pics have got a bit of glare from the window, but you can still get a fair idea. By the way, I have since got Trevor and Gerard's books and already have the next one planned in the head, pretty much the same as this with a few alterations.
Thanks for looking,
Archie.
Attachments
No 5 front.jpg
No 5 front.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
No 5 front2.jpg
No 5 front2.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
No 5 side.jpg
No 5 side.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
No 5 back.jpg
No 5 back.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
No5 first setup2.jpg
No5 first setup2.jpg (30.48 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
No 5 first setup.jpg
No 5 first setup.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
Closeup top.jpg
Closeup top.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
soundhole.jpg
soundhole.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
Back of head.jpg
Back of head.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
Head 1.jpg
Head 1.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 11329 times

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Archie's No5

Post by Lillian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Archie it turned out a treat.

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Lovely job there Archie, I particularly like the headstock with the blackwood / she-oak sandwich, looks very classy. I've got some she-oak from Tim for my next build and this is making me very eager to get going with it.
Matt

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Lookin good there Archie and I'm sure Edith (pronounced Ead it) will approve. Have you Lacked up the inside or is it just an optical?

Steve

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:56 pm

I like that a lot Archie. I particularly like the way the upper bout has nice rounded shoulders into the neck. So often you see that transition quite square and looking pretty industrial. Your's is very elegant.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I am a huge WA sheoak fan Archie so Double Thumbs Up from me there....BEAUTIFUL!

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

bunker
Beefwood

Post by bunker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Just got in from dog walking and have seen the comments. Thanks very much one and all. Yes Steve, there is a lick of plain shellac all over the inside, i think it just looks good. Alan, I love the rounded shapes in upper and lower bout which I decided to design into this one and it threw up a few extra challenges in block fitting as well as setting the neck but I am keen now to do the next with the hindsight I now have. Thanks John, this is the second Sheoak I have made and I have a couple of more sets ready to go. It is a bit tricky to work and needs a fair bit of pore filling but is a stunning timber that has ( to my ear) nice acoustic qualities. Tim has great timber for sure.
Cheers,
Archie

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Yeah, I like it Archie, I have looked at it several times since you posted, and had to post a reply, Well done, I like the way that the wood speaks for itself, no Bull@#it. keep em comin :)
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Very nice guitar Archie.

Lutz is my favourite spruce and I love the silking.

The slotted headstock sets the guitar off nicely.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 am

Very nice guitar.

I've often wondered why the interiors of acoustics have no finish. Does the finish affect the sound, compared to non-finished interiors?
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl