Aussie guy from VIC -new member intro

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Aussie guy from VIC -new member intro

Post by demonx » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi guys.

My name is Allan, I'm from Victoria Australia.

I stumbleed across this forum whjile searching for Aussie Tonewoods and it looks like you guys have a great little community going on.

I'm a hobby builder of Electric Guitars, started off building just for myself and then friends wanted me to build for them and then all of a sudden building guitars grew into something that is an obsession rather than just a passing interest!

I guess on a guitar building forums pics speak louder than words, so heres a few recent builds:

Vic Blackwood wrapped around Maple with Ebony stringers:

All mahogany - airbrushing (black camo) done myself:

Another All mahogany with abalone inlay:

Mahogany wings wrapped around a maple neckthru:

Maple neckthru with Qld Maple wings and Birdseye Maple board:

Another all Mahogany strat where I was experimenting with some airbrushing:

This is the first guitar I've outsourced the airbrushing. It was a present for someone and the pic had sentimental/emotional meaning, so I wanted it to look right - if I attempted it would like like a picasso or something!

Vic Ash body with Sassafrass headstock - Japanese Maple inlays:

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Aussie guy from VIC -new member intro

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

G'day Allan and welcome, i've seen your work on the woodwork forum.
Love the airbrushing.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Allan.

Absolutely first class workmanship there mate!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 pm

jeffhigh wrote:G'day Allan and welcome, i've seen your work on the woodwork forum.
Love the airbrushing.
Thanks!

I was going to cut/paste my current build thread from over there and post it over here but their format doesnt let me cut the pic links, makes for a pretty boring thread! I'll work it out.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 am

Love your airbrush work, you've obviously done a bit :lol: Nice portfolio of work Allan & Welcome to the forum...again :wink: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 am

Nick wrote:Love your airbrush work, you've obviously done a bit :lol: Nice portfolio of work Allan & Welcome to the forum...again :wink: .
Thankyou

Actually, no - I haven't airbrushed much at all. I can't draw to save my life. Even if I try and draw a stick figure I'd find a way to screw it up.

A couple years ago I enrolled in a airbrush night school course, but after a couple months of one night a week I had to drop out due to having too much on my plate at the time. I was working 40hrs a week at a factory as well as running a business in the evenings 4 nights a week as well as trying to build guitars in my "spare" time.

The same school did a crash course on airbrush gfx which was 4 days over two weekends and about 12 hrs a day. I learned most of my skills there but I'm still a complete beginner. I've never really had the spare time to practice.

After the airbrush couse i did gfx on two of my guitars which was a failure, then i did these two camo's were my first successes and I'm proud of them, my fifth airbrush guitar is the one with the biomech type stuff going on which turned out "so so" but certainly isn't professional.

That is the only airbrushing I've ever done! The butterfly I paid my ex airbrush instructor to do.

Now I'm not running my old business in the evens I have more time to build guitars and I'd have loved to go back to the airbrush school to learn properly, but they have since closed down.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Rather than start a new thread just to post a video, I thought I'd add it to this one.

Heres one of four builds that I've had running consecutively, one of them is in a build thread on this site, the tassy blackwood SS6. (SS6 just means 6 string Superstrat)

Well this build is same shape/carve but different timbers and more exotic finish:

enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX4YlP5N ... e=youtu.be

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Some really nice work you have going there Allen, all good looking guitars but I particularly like the biomech design and from the PC it is difficult to understand how you can say it turned out so so.

Cheers

Kim

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Kim wrote:Some really nice work you have going there Allen, all good looking guitars but I particularly like the biomech design
Thanks.
Kim wrote: and from the PC it is difficult to understand how you can say it turned out so so.
What I meant about the Boimech one is - it doesnt look like Giger painted it - it looks very Amateur. Airbrush skill wise it looks very beginner. When my old airbrush instructor saw it when he was here picking up a guitar to airbrush for me all he said was "what color base did you use"!! I don't think he was too impressed with it either!

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Welcome aboard Allen!

Impressive collection of guitars! :cl :cl :cl