Rare Encounter

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Rare Encounter

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am

In best David Attenborough voice:

Rarely seen alone in the wild and even more rarely seen together as a mating couple, these two fantastic specimens were caught on film during their courtship routine. You can appreciate their gleaming coats, beautiful markings and their fine pedigree; absolutely superb examples of their species. Well known for being highly strung and responsive to even the gentlest caress of just the shadow of a falling feather, they have a tactile response that is little short of explosive. One false move and they’ll have you for breakfast.
The couple approach....jpg
The couple approach....jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 9741 times
Wait… a move is being made. Just watch that graceful approach…
A move is being made.jpg
A move is being made.jpg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 9741 times
…and before we know it, with a soft caress, it’s all over.
Gentle withdrawal.jpg
Gentle withdrawal.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 9741 times
With a three month gestation period, we wait with bated breath to see the outcome of this rare encounter.

It’s normal with this species for just one parent to raise the offspring.

We’ve been following trails for two weeks now and we think we are getting close to seeing something very special.
It's a classic!.jpg
It's a classic!.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 9741 times
Yes, this is a classic!

This is extraordinarily rare. The general features that this species is well known for, are all there, but this mutation must be a one in a zillion chance.
Inquistive child.jpg
Inquistive child.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 9741 times
There is already an inquisitive nature to this young pup. In search of the lost chord?
First steps.jpg
And here we have the first rather shaky steps. Let’s just hope that this family grouping endures the loss of habitat and weathers the threat of death by a thousand pieces of paper that their environment has been subjected to, and that, in the future, we will be seeing more of this glorious species.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Re: Rare Encounter

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 am

Great looking guitars, timber choices work well. Are they going to the same owner? shame to break up a family.

That comment about "one soft caress and it's all over rings a bell". :lol:

Riveting presentation too.
Taff

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:51 pm

What do these fine specimens make when they mate Mr Attenborough? A Uke? Or a Hybrid 1/2 classical half steel string? Or is it something more sinister.....Dare I not say the B_ _ _ _ word on ANZLF

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Mighty nice specimens Trevor and love the friction tuners. Could you please explain the laminated bridge as well, looks like A melo?

Steve

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 pm

I need to watch more Nature Documentaries! :lol:

And it's a lovely little classical off-spring Trevor.
But then it is from a fine pedigree!
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:32 pm

I was expecting to scroll down and discover a Gore Ukulele, complete with straight sting pull , Falcate bracing and compensated nut .

MMMMMMM , I'm a little disapointed :( :( :( , but I still enjoyed looking at the Parents. :P

Cheers,
Paul .

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments!
Taffy Evans wrote: Are they going to the same owner? shame to break up a family.
Perhaps a bit more background...

I got an email from a player who was interested in a cedar/rosewood steel string, so I called him up. He was about to head off to the USA, but was quite local, so he dropped in that arvo and walked out with a cedar/rosewood SS. He's an accomplished player who plays a lot of styles. A couple of months later I got another email, "could I build him a matching classical?" Very hard to say no! So that's how the classical came about. It is a full-on classical (neo-classical body shape), just dressed a bit differently from your usual classical. He had played one of my cedar topped classicals when he first visited for the SS. A great customer!

The second SS was built to replace the one Bob bought. They always seem very popular and I've sold them in the USA and the UK as well as here, but this was the first time I'd actually seen two of the SS's together, because Bob brought his in for a pick-up install (K&K). The classical is also K&K loaded.
Kamusur wrote:...love the friction tuners...
The tuners are the planetary pegs, with a 4:1 gear inside the shaft. They let you do a straight string pull as well as having zero backlash.
Kamusur wrote:Could you please explain the laminated bridge...
The SS has a CF laminate in the bridge plate and there is one layer of CF in the bridge to effectively form an I-beam. The bridge is very much part of the bracing in the falcate bracing system. The classical has no bridge plate but has two layers of CF in the bridge to achieve the same effect.

So the three guitars have never been all together. I was lucky in being able to replicate the lighting so the pics didn't need any colour correction to look like they might have been.
ozwood wrote: I was expecting to scroll down and discover a Gore Ukulele, complete with straight sting pull , Falcate bracing and compensated nut .
I've had an enquiry about a uke in this style, but "I know nothing about ukes" until you guys tell me more!

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Excellent Trevor, and thanks for the answers.

Steve