Festival Guitars Finished

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Festival Guitars Finished

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:14 pm

The four new guitars for the festival are essentially finished.

Just let them settle in for a few days and give them a final tweak and setup.

I'm pleased they're all done because I'm knackered. So here's some final pics.

Native Olive Dread.

I'm pleased to report that this tonewood indeed lives up to the expectations of all those who have tapped, bashed and flexed this stuff.

It has only been strung up since yesterday with the final setup today.

It has a beefy bottom end, nice punch in the mids and clear fat trebles.

And it is loud. I had it around at Daves place about an hour ago and played it in the back yard. Some friends of ours were there and had to raise their voices over it. :D So it's going to be a real Bluegrass canon when the Adi top eventually opens up.

Blackwood 12 String

We finished this one yesterday, installed the K & K powermix system in it and I played it for 4 hours at a wedding last night.

After 4 hours of playing it was a very different sounding instrument this morning. More bottom end, less jangle - essentially what you'd expect.

Very, very happy with the sound of it and a big thanks to Craig Lawrence for the excellent tutorial on setting out the six pin bridge.

I tuned it up at the start of the gig and it stayed in tune the whole night :shock: Most unusual for a 12 string.

I also put a thin bridge saddle in it because of the under saddle K & K pickup. Intonated the B string and surprisingly everthing else is pretty damned close. The harmonics are spot on with a tiny sharpening when you fret at the 12th fret - again what you would expect.

Blackwood/King Billy O model

The King Billy reminds me of Engelmann in sound and sounds fairly open from the get go - like cedar or Engelmann. plenty of bottom end considering it's such a small instrument but nicely balanced across all strings.

Ziricote/Euro O model

More mid range punch and brighter top end than the King Billy but still balanced and responsive.

Both these O's will make nice little fingerstyle guitars.

Thanks fer lookin.

Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Nice looking stable of guitars there Bob, my favourite is the King Billy O.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:20 pm

They are all excellent looking guitars Bob, congrats to both you and Dave. I am particularly taken with the native olive but I am sure they will all be head spinners at the show.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks guys.

It's actually really good to string all these up in just a few days.

It's like having four Christmas's in a week.

You'd like the Native Olive one Kim. The wood has all the promise that was expected from it.

I was bashing the bejaysus out of around at Dave's this arvo just to see if I could overdrive it.

I need to get some stiffer picks. :?

Bob

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Thats a fine looking herd you got there.

I've got choice paralysis.... :shock:
good luck on the weekend.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey Bob they are beautiful guitars. Someone is going to be mightly lucky owning one of those. My favourite would have to be the Ziricote/Euro O model.

Thanks for the pics

Cheers

Alan

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Congratulations guys , they are all fantastic. I have no favorites Bob . They all have there own attraction. I don't normally go for scratch plates , but your choices here suit extremely well.

I'm certain your guitars will really standout at the festival Bob, and you guys will enjoy great success ! Oh, and I'm pleased my shared pin tute. was useful to you guys .

:cl :cl :cl :cl

Cheers Craig

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:07 pm

Beautiful guitars indeed. Wish I could go to Port Fairy to see them in person (along with the artist lineup that is great as always) but decided a few months back to do WOMADelaide which is the same weekend. Next year maybe...

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Richard wrote:Beautiful guitars indeed. Wish I could go to Port Fairy to see them in person (along with the artist lineup that is great as always) but decided a few months back to do WOMADelaide which is the same weekend. Next year maybe...
Welcome to the ANZLF Richard, nice to have you with us. :D

Cheers

Kim

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 pm

Bob,

Wow - you and Dave have been busy boys indeed. That's a fabulous portfolio to take to the show. Great choices of woods and beautifully put together. I really like the Euro/Ziricote O but the others are fabulous too.

Well done!!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 am

Superb Bob M8 and I am going to give you and Dave the highest compliment that I know of - your guitars look very British......... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously they are all superb and as I said on the other forum you guys have arrived as builders and I am sure that great success is headed your way.

:cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:48 am

Dave and Bob, you guys do some fabulous work. The guitars have an understated elegance that I love. I know that they will be a joy to listen to was well. You are going to do very well at the festival.

Sweetie can't decide between the Olive and the Ziricote. Me, I don't think I could pick just one.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 am

How in the hell are you going to part with any one of those beauties. For me the Zircote is the stand out, but I really love the subdued tones of the Native Olive.

Are you making your own pick guards? They look really good. And from what I can see you've really got that Mirotone finish down pat.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 am

Hi Bob,

Your hard work shows, bluddy bewdiful, all of them. I found your comments on the KBP interesting as well. I love that stuff! The native olive looks really nice and your comments on the sound bear out the tap tone on the bits I have. Im sure you will kill em at Port Fairy. Have a great time!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:50 am

Thanks very much everyone. It's a real relief to have them done in plenty of time..

Allen most of the pickguards are the John Greven Tortis type available from LMI or direct from Greven.

The Mirotone is much easier to work with than the Hard Shellac. I got one of the spec sheets which reckons that the Mirocat 3220 100% gloss is sandable in 24 hours and fully cured in seven days. Most of these were sanded and buffed a week after the final spraying!!!! I know you recommended 2 weeks Allan, but we were under the pump and had to do it. Hasn't seemed to affect the final finish at all.

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great time in Adelaide.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Connor on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 am

Congratulations, and a quadruple WOW!

An excellent cluster of beautiful instruments that look like more than pretty faces.

Way to go, Bob and Dave!!!!

Dennis

now, take a day off...
Another damn Yank!

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:13 am

I agree with everyone's comments, they look great. I don't have a favorite they all look pretty awesome from where I'm sitting.

You've sold me on the Mirotone, if I can achieve a finish anywhere near as good as you guys have done, I'll be a happy camper. Don't think I'll bother having another crack at the hard shellac.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:59 pm

It could be the much drier weather that you get down there Bob that gets them to cure much quicker. It's so bloody humid up here that there isn't any room left in the air to evaporate solvent :roll:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Bob and Dave,

All four guitars look awesome, no way I could pick a favorite.
Superb work guys, very impressive to say the least.
Good Luck! at your upcoming show. Im sure you will get a lot of
attention, how could anyone just walk by those beauties.

Tom

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

What they all said x 2
Dom

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:12 am

Hey Bob and Dave,
Super guitars, All four ! I am very interested in the Native Olive. It looks fantastic under finish!
And I'm glad to hear that it is sounding good allready.Just wait til the adi opens up !! :cl :cl :cl :serg
The blackwood O is very cool and the Ziricote is some super Zoot !
Have a great show guys!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida