Inside my SHED

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

steve roberts
Blackwood

Inside my SHED

Post by steve roberts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some photos of my Shed. I have hand made all the jigs, moulds, benches, bending machine and buffing machine. Everything seems to work reasonably well for me and might give some useful ideas for others to try.

Rgds
Steve Roberts
Attachments
The Shed inside.JPG
Buffing machine.JPG
Work bench on wheels.JPG
Back & top radiusing jig.JPG
Radius dish boards.JPG
Side bender.JPG
Humidity control room outside.JPG
Humidy room inside.JPG
Plate joining jig.JPG
Binding router.JPG
Moulds.JPG
Fret slot cutting table.JPG
Bending forms.JPG
Spray booth inside.JPG
Spray booth outside.JPG

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Inside my SHED

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:45 pm

That's a serious shed that is well though out Steve.

Mine's not quite so organised. I keep meaning to, but just struggle to find the time to do those things I should, instead of trying to keep up with all the things on my plate.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Allen,

I'm pretty happy with my Shed, unfortuantely however I am still working in my "day job" so there is a lot of things in the shed that I need for work unrelated to guitars. It would be great to be able to clear it all out & just have guitar stuff .... and my wife is still coming to terms with the fact that no cars are allowed in there any more!!

I must say it did take me 2 years to get the Shed into its current shape (and it isn't always as tidy as the photos show!)

The more time I spend working on guitars, the harder it is to focus on other things - it sure gets into your blood

How do you control the humidy in your part of the world?

Rgds Steve

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Steve,

Love your set up, you have some great jigs and machines in that shed .

I work for a company that specializes in Intrisically safe Electronics, lighting and electrical components , so I am somewhat familiar with explosive atmospheres , you have no doubt sprayed in that booth a hundered times and never had an issue , But as they say when all the Planets align , it can go wrong , So can I suggest a few simple mods to mitigate that risk, the only fool proof way is to use EX ( IS) certified lights and fans which are quite exxy , however , you can lessen the chances by 1) forcing air into the room and venting out , Rather than having anexplosive Mix of Air , Thinners and Nitro passing the unsealed Motor of what looks Like garden variety exhaust fans . 2) try to use Fluro's that are sealed ( IP66 ) or better still are on the outside of the booth shining through some glass that is sealed , the Idea being you don't want any of that explosive Mix coming into Contact with anything that may Ignite it , in some instances it does not even need to be a spark , the right heat can ignite some atmospheres , Infact i read of a case where it was ignited by Electrostatic discharge .

I don't want to tell anyone how to suck eggs , But I have seen the consequenses of what can happen when it goes wrong , Again I am not suggesting the above suggestion will 100% Avoid the potential for it going wrong , but it will reduce the risk significantly.

Please Read the Info below.

http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/__data/a ... booths.pdf

http://www.onguardsafetytraining.com/lo ... uction.pdf

http://www.learsiegler.com.au/images/up ... cesses.pdf

Cheers,
Paul .

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Many thanks Paul, I will take your advice.
That's one of the great things about this forum - the knowledge and expertise we can share to learn and help keep each other safe.
Being a carpenter I know a fair bit about the construction of buildings but didn't know so much about the potential fire/explosive hazards I had unintentionally exposed myself to. I will implement your suggestions and come back to you afterwards (before using the booth again). Thanks again for the heads up.
Rgds Steve

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 am

There was a room approximately 2.0 x 2.5 metre square that was in my 6 x9 metre shed when we bought the place. I insulated it with pink batt and then sealed it with a plastic vapour barrier along with some ply lining. There I run a dehumidifier 24/7 that keeps the RH pretty much spot on 45% during the wet season.

I store all my wood for upcoming builds, work in progress etc. in there. Plus moved my compressor in there as the insulation helps to keep the wife and neighbours happy when it kicks in.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 am

Great setup!

I'd be interested to see more info on your self made buffer, looks like a good machine