the recycled tool box guitar

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Luke
Blackwood

the recycled tool box guitar

Post by Luke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 am

Been awhile sense i posted an instrument always feel a little out of place with all the proper instruments displayed on the forum.
So here is the most recent instrument I built for my Recycled String Band, nothing to serious or high end hear folks just some fun

It is the tool box guitar, basically a tool box of sorts that came from local market spruce top other bits I had laying about and there you go a new beaut funky kind of instrument.
One of the guys in the band asked me to make something that was a little easier to play lower action than the chain guard resonator guitar we use he was very happy with its playability and the tone/volume very much like a arch top type jazz guitar sound or a cheap old harmony lots of mid range honk great for blues. We will just mic it up like all of the instruments in the band.
The neck is a Martin factory reject I brought it on ebay several years ago a guy was selling several it had some noticeable faults, chips from when it was machined but very usable for me.

Had to remove top and re design my bracing as the first attempt was not strong enough manged to do some damage to the top so it has some extra wear and tear marks all ands to the look so not to worried.

If anyone wants to read about the band here's link hope to be at a few festivals in the new year always up for a chat if you are there.
http://www.lukerdavies.com/the-recycled-string-band/
Attachments
Front.jpg
back.jpg
on the bench 3.jpg
Cheers Luke

Gazm
Blackwood

Re: the recycled tool box guitar

Post by Gazm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 am

That's one funky rhythm box Luke, great to see what a recycling mind can produce, thanks for the heads up, now I know what to do with the tool box when I pack it all up for a better life style :wink:

Gaz

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 am

Another alternative masterpiece, Luke!

Your cabinets always catch my eye... I have some exactly like that; same door style, same hinges, same colour... No idea where mine came from. They were in the Shed when I moved in.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Luke,
I really like your music and instruments, especially the fiddle on " Burning Sun ".

The cigar box movement is philosophy I really embrace.

"....with a corncob fiddle and a cornsilk bow... " from Cotton Eye Joe
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I've seen plenty of cigar box variations but first time I've seen a tool box!

Nice work!

Luke
Blackwood

Post by Luke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks guys nice feedback,
Yes the funky kitchen cabinets are very handy in the shed Trev. They where in there when we arrived may be it was the original cabinets from the kitchen it has been renovated at some stage.
We have a set to play on the big community stage on Sat night At the Wangaratta Jazz & Blues festival, alas the guys are opting for there fair dinkum electric instruments for this show of Wangaratta inspired Chicago blues.
The tool box will get its first gig in Dec at the Folk Rhythm & life festival Eldorado than the Illawarra folk in Jan.
Cheers Luke

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:20 am

really clever luke !!! whats next a paint can???
love your creativity !!!!

Cheers,

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Skip
Gidgee

Post by Skip » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm

New here so haven't seen any others of your instruments but sounds like I'm gonna like them all. I love re-purposing and recycling anything, just makes it so much better when you create instruments from it. Love the simple honest design and the recycled Martin throwback neck seems like it would've saved a lot of time.

Now off to google your band..

Luke
Blackwood

Post by Luke » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks Skip
lots of pics of some of my silly creations here
http://www.lukerdavies.com/instruments/
The Recycled String Band has been invited to perform at next years National Folk Festival so pleased with that news.
I will get to meet some of you guys that get there.
Cheers Luke

Skip
Gidgee

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Love the hubcap ones, I seen Seasick Steve with his hubcap guitar on a TopGear DVD a couple weeks ago and started having grand ideas about making something similar by imbedding an old holden hubcap onto a solid body guitar, almost like a resonator bridge. Even have an 48/215 hubcap donated already.

Gerry Coon
Wandoo

Post by Gerry Coon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 am

Nice one Luke. The scale length on my three string bass is 24 3/4" guitar scale tuned ADG with heavy gauge flat wound jazz guitar strings .050, .040, and .030 from Thomastik-Infell.

Cheers.