NK Forster archtops

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

NK Forster archtops

Post by nkforster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Here are a few shots of the archtop design I came up with a couple years ago, there are lots of ways of playing with it. At the bottom are the a couple of pics of how the idea came about.

nigel
http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/#/book/4568936095

P Bill
Blackwood

Re: NK Forster archtops

Post by P Bill » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for shareing the details Nigel. A very elegant design / solution. They sure sound nice.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Nigel.....Lovely guitar!.....Is that a compensated zero fret I see there?

Regards

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Almost better than making love Nigel! Drool worthy in the first instance & all class in the execution :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:47 pm

Geez keep that up and you'll find yourself banned from here :lol:
Beautifully modern interpretations Nigel. Lovely work :cl
Matt

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 am

Yeah, Gobsmacked by the design flair and the execution.

Definitely want to know how you do the compensated zero fret please?
cheers (and cheering)
Mark

Luke
Blackwood

Post by Luke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Fantastic and inspiring ideas also the build quality wow.
Cheers Luke

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:01 am

Would you share how you did the compensated Zero fret Nigel or is that a Forster family secret passed down through twelve generations of skilled tradesmen? :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Nick wrote:Would you share how you did the compensated Zero fret Nigel or is that a Forster family secret passed down through twelve generations of skilled tradesmen? :wink:
By reading Byers and Doolin. They've both written about how to work this out.

It's like this: set up your guitar as normal, get your tuner out (mine is a Peterson strobe) and make a map of where you're at for each string at each fret. By that I mean make a note of how many cents sharp or flat you are of equal temperament for each string at each fret. From that you can calculate whether your nut and saddle should be in relation to where they are now: on a 25.4" scale, one cent equals about 0.4mm (sorry to mix imperial and metric, I'm forever doing it) So you plan your new saddle and zero fret (or nut) accordingly adding or subtracting 0.4mm for every cent out. Then I make 'em and fit 'em and check 'em. If it's correct - and you can get extremely close to perfect equal temperament, then take notes for that scale, action and string as this is quite repeatable. Strings do vary of course, so it's worth doing again if you're changing gauge or type, but this is a very effective way to do this.

Changing the zero fret or nut in accordance to what is going on in the first few frets and changing the saddle to fit in with what is going on at say the 10th and up means you usually don't have to keep going back and forth. It works. Try it.

The fret itself: I start out with a wide stainless steel fret, flatten it to the correct height and to give me a broad top surface to work with, file the shape into it, then go through the grades and polish. Takes about an hour and works really well.

The hardest thing is to actually accept that equal temperament is what it is - perfectly out of tune! I've set guitars up like this so many times and still find myself tying to sweeten when tuning which is crazy - I understand the reason for equal temperament but my heart is just drawn to Just temperament...which is another story entirely....So, even when it's done all you have achieved is a compromise. But a good one.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Great guitar Nigel, thanks very much for sharing her with us she's beautiful.

Cheers

Kim

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:14 am

Again Wow!! beautiful work Nigel,
Cheers,

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 am

nkforster wrote:

It's like this: set up your guitar as normal, get your tuner out (mine is a Peterson strobe) and make a map of where you're at for each string at each fret. By that I mean make a note of how many cents sharp or flat you are of equal temperament for each string at each fret. From that you can calculate whether your nut and saddle should be in relation to where they are now: on a 25.4" scale, one cent equals about 0.4mm (sorry to mix imperial and metric, I'm forever doing it) So you plan your new saddle and zero fret (or nut) accordingly adding or subtracting 0.4mm for every cent out. Then I make 'em and fit 'em and check 'em. If it's correct - and you can get extremely close to perfect equal temperament, then take notes for that scale, action and string as this is quite repeatable. Strings do vary of course, so it's worth doing again if you're changing gauge or type, but this is a very effective way to do this.

Changing the zero fret or nut in accordance to what is going on in the first few frets and changing the saddle to fit in with what is going on at say the 10th and up means you usually don't have to keep going back and forth. It works. Try it.

The fret itself: I start out with a wide stainless steel fret, flatten it to the correct height and to give me a broad top surface to work with, file the shape into it, then go through the grades and polish. Takes about an hour and works really well.

The hardest thing is to actually accept that equal temperament is what it is - perfectly out of tune! I've set guitars up like this so many times and still find myself tying to sweeten when tuning which is crazy - I understand the reason for equal temperament but my heart is just drawn to Just temperament...which is another story entirely....So, even when it's done all you have achieved is a compromise. But a good one.
Appreciate the info Nigel, thanks. Not sure when I'll next do a zero fretted build but all usefull tidbits for filing away :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:57 pm

nkforster wrote:
Nick wrote:Would you share how you did the compensated Zero fret Nigel or is that a Forster family secret passed down through twelve generations of skilled tradesmen? :wink:

Very informative Nick.
What happens when you retune the guitar to a non-standard tuning?

Beautiful guitar BTW, in so many ways. :cl :cl :cl
Mike

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 am

H3ytm@n wrote:
nkforster wrote:
Very informative Nick.
What happens when you retune the guitar to a non-standard tuning?

Beautiful guitar BTW, in so many ways. :cl :cl :cl
The guitar is compensated for equal temperament, but the tuning will have an effect. One of my customers always plays in DADGAD and so I compensated accordingly.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

Hi Nigel, I'm resurrecting a thread from the dead. I'm wanting to build a similar 6 string bass. I'm interested in how you braced the top and back.
Pete