Number 2 and 3

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Number 2 and 3

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:11 am

Here are my second and third guitars. I made them partially as a bit of an experiment - with lots of different advice floating around about thicknesses of backs and sides on classical guitars, I built one of these with thin sides and back and light bracing, and one with more substantial sides and thicker back with heavier bracing. The tops are cedar, from the same slab, and braced the same. The one with the thicker back and sides sounds louder and perhaps more barky, whereas the thinner one has a sweeter tone and and quieter. I'm cautiously concluding that the thickness of the back and sides had a major part to play in the difference, but the possibility for error here is pretty large, so I'm keeping an open mind. It did occur to me (afterwards! duh) that the difference in densities between the woods I used for the bridges may also have a big effect. In that case, the conclusion seems to be, tentatively, that heavier bridges are not as loud. Anyway, much fun was had building these, and I'm onto #4 and #5, which are all NZ native timbers.

tops: cedar
B&S: shed hardwood (pilularis perhaps?)
fretboards & bridges: Puriri, gidgee and aussie lancewood
Necks: recycled mahogany from old bedhead
Attachments
guitar backs.jpg
guitar backs.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 6829 times
guitar fronts.jpg
guitar fronts.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 6829 times

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Re: Number 2 and 3

Post by EricDownunder » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:07 am

Well done, they look great, how do they sound? :cl :cl :cl
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

I don't have a lot to compare the sound to, not really being a classical player. I'll have to find someone who knows more about these things to give me an honest appraisal! I like them, though... :D

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 am

Nice work - great looking guitars. Sounds like you're hooked already.
Yes, thickness and desity of timber used does make a differance to the sound of the instruments you build.
Bridge weight is very important. I would suggest an investment in the Gore Gillet books which explain how it all works. I can not tell you how much they have improved the sound quality of the guitars I build
Regards Steve

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Well done, you've ended up with a nice pair of guitars 'and' a better understanding of what makes them tick.

Cheers

Kim