Stella Guitar

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Stella Guitar

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Not the old-time guitar brand, but a guitar I made for my daughter Stella! The rosette is based on 'starburst' clocks from the mid-century modern era. The top is kahikatea, sides and neck are recycled mahogany bedheads, bridge is totara, binding is kauri and the headstock veneer is Australian lancewood with the sapwood forming the cream coloured area. Oh and the fretboard is gidgee. It is based on the Jose Ramirez 613mm scale plan but I tried to stiffen up the back and experimented with grading the top quite a lot. It doesn't have a lot of immediate responsiveness but it does have good headroom for the size, with good clarity in the trebles.

Anyway just wanted to thank all you guys here, I read this forum quite a lot even though I hardly post! and I really enjoy the friendly vibe (unlike some other forums where there seem to be some egos flying around). And of course the wealth of knowledge here is awesome.

Finally, I'm moving to Melbourne this january - my wife has a job there so we are crossing the ditch. Unfortunately it seems I have to leave my shed in New Zealand (won't fit on the plane apparently) so I was wondering if there is any chance some of the anzlf members based in Melbourne might have some bench space available for a part-time amateur hack kiwi? Or maybe know of anyone? Failing that, just having someone explain aussie rules would be a great help!

thanks

Geoff
Attachments
IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2826.jpg (367.29 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg (370.43 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2835.jpg (483.55 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
IMG_2828.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg (367.15 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2831.jpg (437.11 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
IMG_2837.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg (442.57 KiB) Viewed 7252 times

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: Stella Guitar

Post by Kamusur » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Sweet guitar Geoff, like that satellite style rosette too and i'm sure you'll like it here on the mainland once you get settled.

Steve

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:57 pm

hepikohetaniwha wrote: just having someone explain aussie rules would be a great helpGeoff
Just kick the ball through the sticks bro, nothing much else to it!

I like your guitar, looks like you know what you are doing. The rosette and bridges are nice, how many instruments have you built?

Cheers

Col

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 am

Nice looking bit of bedhead there Geoff :D Very well appointed and finished.
And good luck in Aussie, looks like we've lost another to the big island :wink:

youtu.be/
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

hepikohetaniwha
Kauri

Post by hepikohetaniwha » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:28 am

Cheers guys (or should that be 'chur bros'), this one is my sixth attempt. I'm trying hard not to agonise over every little mistake (and there are many) but to learn from each and apply the lesson next time! Easier said than done...you experienced builders are a rare breed - I admire your mental toughness. I have to say, making music on an instrument you built yourself, whatever its shortcomings, must be one of life's ultimate satisfactions.