Rainy Day Projects

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Rainy Day Projects

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Humidity is like a yoyo at the moment in my shop so I have to make do with some odd projects and one or two electric guitars while I save up for a decent dehumidifier... like this glockenspiel:
DSCF4583.JPG
DSCF4584.JPG
DSCF4585.JPG
DSCF4586.JPG
DSCF4590.JPG
DSCF4592.JPG
Main hassle with this project was the key holes are pill shaped so they always look crooked with the smaller diameter cylindrical nails and thus there's a lot of movement.

Think the timber is tassie myrtle there is some light spalting in other pieces. It came off a chest of drawers about 2.5 m long. Funny thing is the original owner of the chest decided to paint over the myrtle with a high gloss white paint. Haven't found any tiger figure in the boards yet but I haven't looked very hard...

Stu

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Rainy Day Projects

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:09 pm

That looks absolutely classy Stu, congrats to this stylish resurrection! :cl :cl :cl

I just love to see how the use of some decent wood and brains can transform trash to treasure, no need to reach for sophisticated tools, spending 200 hours on the bench or inlaying petrified dinosaur's fingernails and the like. 8)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks Markus,
I'm going through my shed finishing off projects from years ago. I'm about to recycle a set of metal framed chairs (the plywood tops delaminated and the frames were rusty as anything). I've sanded the rust and paint off and now I just need to source a blonde-ish decking timber to make some slats for the chair. The problem is that I wanted to use timber I wouldn't have to alter/ prepare (only sand and oil) decking timber would be great for the slats for the chair but I'm finding it hard to find a reasonably priced blonde hardwood that will be good for outdoor use. Messmate seems the only real lighter decking option that won't break the bank and is readily available as I need about 16 lineal metres of the stuff for 4 chairs. I'll post some pics soon.

What are you working on?

Stu

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 am

needsmorecowbel wrote:What are you working on?
These days I am trying to refine some veneer thinning tools and methods. I need evenly thin veneer for making rosettes (Spanish mosaic style).

Last Sunday evening I made a couple of kazoos. :lol:

Markus

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:52 am

That...is... awesome! Brass screws are a nice touch. How often do you have to replace the plastic membrane/ reed?

Stu

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:29 pm

By the way Markus please call off the drones as the Elvis Costello Stand MK II is no longer in my possession. It was apparently worth a total of $20 to a gentleman who promptly threw it in his car boot (possibly so it could never see the light of day again). I'll have to buy you a beer for all of the effort and money you put into collecting it via drone.
DSCF4553a.jpg
DSCF4553a.jpg (169.63 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
The main problem I have found with the Elvis Costello Guitar Stand MK II is that it really does make the objects it holds look amazing by comparison...

Now that it is gone I've had to make some modifications to the guitar it used to hold as it just looked terrible without a gigantic distraction...Made a custom pickguard for it out of a scrap piece of perspex I had lying around...my new old busking guitar a $60 chinese strat with a Vintage Tele Stack Seymour Duncan- now with roadworn/ reliced edges:
1.jpg
1.jpg (316.27 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (398.69 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (147.88 KiB) Viewed 9124 times
45.jpg
45.jpg (181.13 KiB) Viewed 9124 times

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 am

needsmorecowbel wrote:That...is... awesome! Brass screws are a nice touch. How often do you have to replace the plastic membrane/ reed?
Thanks.
I am not a kazoo player, but I heard from others that the membrane (a piece of those very thin, "noisy" plastic bags) lasts "forever". All I know for sure is that those disposable plastic bags rot away by themselves within a few years if exposed to sunlight and heat.
needsmorecowbel wrote:By the way Markus please call off the drones as the Elvis Costello Stand MK II is no longer in my possession. It was apparently worth a total of $20 to a gentleman who promptly threw it in his car boot (possibly so it could never see the light of day again). I'll have to buy you a beer for all of the effort and money you put into collecting it via drone.
Oh, that's good news. Congrats.
I tell you that those drones are not what they used to be. First it came back with a trout and I said "no, not a fish, I want that funny thing on needsmorecowbel's veranda". Then it came back with a cat and I said "no, that animal on needsmorecowbel's veranda is a dog, and I don't want neither a dog nor a cat, I want that bldy Elvis Costello Guitar Stand MK II™, bring that cat back to where you got it from. The drone took off again and I haven't seen it again since. Maybe it committed suicide, I don't care. Stupid drone.
needsmorecowbel wrote:The main problem I have found with the Elvis Costello Guitar Stand MK II is that it really does make the objects it holds look amazing by comparison...

Now that it is gone I've had to make some modifications to the guitar it used to hold as it just looked terrible without a gigantic distraction...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice idea how to hide the missing parts of that guitar. :)
Markus

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:08 am

Haha cheers! It's actually a really nice sounding leccy... I just hope you didn't put as much effort into making the drone as this poor guy...

youtu.be/

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:52 pm

There you go Markus! Recorded with a Vocal Mic. It is actually a bit cleaner than it sounds there is some light fuzz/hum. pop going on.

https://soundcloud.com/sjaluthiery/stu- ... SHJ#t=0:02