Tasmanian Blackwood / Sitka 00-12 Fret

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark G
Sassafras

Tasmanian Blackwood / Sitka 00-12 Fret

Post by Mark G » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Hello all,

I regularly look around at what is on this forum and always get inspiration from the different things people are doing. I also learn a lot from reading the various opinions and topics. I thought it was time to share some of my own builds - perhaps they'll be of interest/inspiration or at least something else to look at.

This guitar is one I built for myself. A no holes barred project where I just got exactly what I wanted to make it really special. Gerard Gilet once said to me that the cheapest part of a guitar is the wood - the expense is in the time/labour. I've done lots of guitars where I scrimped on bits only to be not quite satisfied at the end of the project and this guitar wasn't going to another one of those. I saved up for this one. It has the prettiest piece of blackwood I could find, a AAA sitka top with some nice bearclaw in it. The neck is flamed Brazillian mahogany - beautiful but a real bugger to work with-scared me when I chipped bits out but it came together in the end. Fretboard is ebony with 2mm paua dot inlays. Rosette is simple paua and blackwood. Binding is all maple with a bwb edge. I wanted the wood to be the hero so the guitar is in my opinion restrained in embelishment. I made a 00 because I didn't have one, they look great, I like a bit of fingerpicking blues so it seemed like a good idea.

Does it sound any good - yep. It's a cracker as one musician put it. Others have said they'd give their left ... for it - not my choice of words by you get the meaning. Hope you like it - I have more photos but didn't want to overdo it on my first try.
Attachments
Gosbell 00-12 ANZLF 912x684.jpg
Gosbell 00-12 fret. Bearclaw sitka top with maple binding.
Gosbell 00-12 Back ANZLF 912x684.jpg
Gosbell 00-12 with flamed mastergrade Tasmanian blackwood back and sides
Gosbell 00-12 Neck ANZLF.jpg
Flamed Brazillian mahogany neck

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Tasmanian Blackwood / Sitka 00-12 Fret

Post by GregL » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 am

Hi Mark,

That's a beaut!
I, for one, would love to see more pics! Especially close-ups of details - like the flamed mahogany neck! Do you have any build pics?

Thanks,
GregL.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 am

Nice work Mark, great collection of wood. Careful those westies don't get too jealous. bridge material? finish? tuners?

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Mark G
Sassafras

Post by Mark G » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello there,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll search out some build photos and perhaps post a little later.

In answer to your question Jim. The bridge is rosewood that I ebononised- hand carved. The finish is Durobond 851 guitar lacquer- nitrocellulose over a nitro sanding sealer. Tuners are Schaller but I don't recall the precise model number- ordered them through Stewmac along with the bridge pins and end pin. The majority of the wood came from Gerard Gilet's shop in Botany. Inlay material is all from Melbourne - Australian Mother of Pearl Supplies.

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:57 am

Very nice indeed!!
Mike

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 am

Very stylish instrument Mark and one of my favourite models.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars