Experimental Model C

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

Experimental Model C

Post by nkforster » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Inspired by one of Trevor's posts featuring German amateur maker Leonhard Augenstein, I tried a version of Leonhard's "Eye-stone" bridge design.

Nice thing was, when I read about the Leonhards work here on the forum I was already heading for Germany. So I emailed him, and travelled down to Munich (a magnificent city) I interviewed him for theluthierblog.com You can read the interview here:

http://www.theluthierblog.com/articles/ ... ugenstein/

He's a great bloke, and a very talented maker - by profession he's a toy designer, and has a great eye for detail - very skilled. We had a great old time talking guitars - I asked if I could try his bridge design, and he asked if he could try my version of the "cylinder top" design. So expect to see one of those from him soon.

So - here is what I've been busy with, and I have to say I'm very happy with the guitar.

There have been a few changes under the bonnet (do you say hood in Australia?) to coincide with the changes on top, and I'm really pleased with the results. It's a great design with lots of scope for experimentation.

All the best for Christmas, and I hope you's all have a happy and healthy new year.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: Experimental Model C

Post by Kamusur » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:56 pm

He may find it harder to make your inspired top than you with his bridge, Is that a fair swap Nick? Nah just kiddin Nick, well done and great aesthetics in this latest evolution of your gits.

Merry Christmas as well

Steve

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:08 pm

This is a really nice cross-fertilization of ideas! I am incredibly jealous that both of you have the actual building of the instruments so well perfected (the materials, joinery and finishing look superb) - so that the exercise can then be all about the design elements. That must be a really satisfying evolution of your craft. I think you are moving towards a truly original aesthetic and design sense.
Thanks for letting us in on the stimulating meeting!

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Nigel....Lovely guitar....interesting bridge design too....:)

BTW we use British English here, so bonnet and boot not hood and trunk is what we say too.... :wink:

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot