Size 5 terz complete - Pictures

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Good point. That's probably so Craig.

I didn't torque the upper bolt down. Just took up the slack that was apparent with just the lower bolt. Lowering the action wouldn't be an issue, but if it was tightened down and you tried to raise the action by much it could pose a problem with the jam nuts on the adjustment screw.

I didn't use the jam nuts, so what would happen is, the adjusting screw would just back out without affecting the action.

The next version is going with the upper mount and set screws in line and as close to the fret board as I can go
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

cactus bum
Myrtle

Post by cactus bum » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am

Allen, what a beauty. Great choice of wood, supurb finishing. Do you use slotted pins? What is the relative hardness of the cheese wood? We don't have that here in the US. Michael Pollard

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Michael.

I don't use slotted pins. Don't like them at all. I prefer to spend the time and get each pin fitting as well as I can by slotting and ramping the bridge. Ideally, you should be able to pull the pin out while the string is under tension and everything will stay put. I do this under low tension and everything is good. I just don't have the nerve to try it when it's tuned up to pitch.

Cheese wood it pretty bloody hard. I smoked a bandsaw blade cutting it up. I think Bob has some that he's going to try out for back and sides. He'll be able to tell you more about it. He's resawed a bit of wood, so he'll have some comparisons to make.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:00 pm

The Cheesewood is one of the densest woods you'll find from Tasmania.
(quite a few things from Tassie are dense :D )

I re-sawed some Cheesewood into some guitar sets a couple of weeks ago and it cut quite easily using the Woodmaster CT blade. It certainly took a bit more work than Blackwood but the Woodmaster is so bloody good it'd make short work of nearly anything.

I reckon these might be the only Cheesewood sets you'll ever see as it's quite rare to get it in large enough sizes.

Not much of a tap tone to it (but then again neither has Myrtle) - a bit of bottom end stuff but none of that high "ping" I like to hear from Rosewoods.

I reckon a really white guitar'll look a bit weird though.

I'll post some pics in another thread shortly.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

cactus bum
Myrtle

Post by cactus bum » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:31 am

G'day Allen, Since we talked last I have come to some realizations. I have decided to begin my travel guitar very soon, instead of waiting until I get back from overseas. In preparation for the build I have made a thickness sander. I am also getting my bending pipe organized.

The reason I am here now is to ask you for your input on a few things, if you have time. I have decided to just build a guitar like your small Terz. It's dimentions are just about what I want. Do you call your guitar a "mini parlour"?

I would like to know what the scale length is. Also, what is the overall length? Did you arch the top, or back? If so, what is the radius? Are you happy with the sound? Are you satisfied with your use of red cedar for the top? What thickness is your sides, back, top?

I realized the lacewood I have is quartersawn, as I understand ALL beautiful lacewood is. I will use it for the back and sides, and buy a top, probably cedar unless you advise against it. Someone said on a forum a cedar top for a very small guitar might not be the right choice. I have since lost where I read this.

I, like you when you started the build, cannot find plans that please me. With your excellent forum photos I could use your guitar as my plan, but what would you do differently? Did you ever find a plan to use? Would it be possible to send me a full size tracing of the body? Maybe there is a way to do it on the internet. I am somewhat of a techno-peasant where these things are concerned. Thanks in advance. Michael Pollard