Corasón after Joseph DiMauro the elder

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Corasón after Joseph DiMauro the elder

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:23 am

I don't put up much of my work here, but I've learned so much from reading this forum, I thought in appreciation I might post this, my new model Corasón, a replica of the elder Joseph DiMauro's manouche guitar with a heart shaped sound hole from the 1940s. More pictures and details here: https://craigbumgarner.wordpress.com/
_MG_0759 copy1.jpg
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Corasón after Joseph DiMauro the elder

Post by Allen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:36 am

That's freakin' awesome Craig.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Beautiful work Craig.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Yes, it's certainly a beautiful looking instrument Craig. I love the aesthetic of the Selmers, but this is a considerable step beyond, without losing the gypsy jazz identity. I suspect Django would have loved it. It only remains for you to let us know what it sounds like.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks guys! I hope to have video next week some time. I'll post a link here when I do.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 am

Beautiful work Craig, you've really done that birdseye justice and I'm just LOVING the colours you've managed to get. Looks so authentically old yet modern. :cl :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Just a question out of interest Craig. Is there a reason for "Corason" rather than the Spanish "Corazon"? Please excuse the lack of an accent over the "o".
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

I've seen it both ways. I'm told that in the Spanish version, the Z is pronounced "th", Corathon. I'm used to saying it with the S sound which I am told is the South American pronunciation and that spelling Corasón with an S implies this South American pronunciation. Course what do I know, I could be all wet. Just this morning a South American friend posted on FB about liking my new Corazon. I just liked the connection between Corasón or Corazon and the English word Heart.

There were more than one of these DiMauro guitars with this particular sound hole and they are collectively known, in English at least, as the Heart Hole guitars. Course it looks more like a shield than a heart to me, but they didn't ask me. :)
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Re: Corazón after Joseph DiMauro the elder

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm

My buddy from Uruguay says that regardless of how it is pronounced, it is spelled with a Z. Searches on the web turn up many more Corazón than Corasón, so I'm changing it now before getting it to deep. Now less an authority than Carlos Santana has a CD called Corazón and he pronounces it Chorus-zone. Love the CD, so who am I to argue. Thanks for the inquiry.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 pm

looks really great.. which finish did you use? how did you build that colour into the top?

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:34 am

Thanks! The finish is French polish with Royal Lac shellac. Epoxy filled the back and sides first. Maple is a closed grain wood, but the birdseye maple has lots of small grain pulls which would have made pumice filling tedious. Sealed the top with regular shellac, then mixed aniline dyes with Royal Lac and sprayed it to get the color. Locked this down with a couple sprayed coats of blond Royal Lac. Did the same with back and sides, but with a slightly different mix of dyes.

Tried spraying the dyes mixed in regular shellac, but it was drying too fast in the air before it hit the surface. Royal Lac dries slower and seemed to build up better. It still dries instantly and it is possible to spray dozens of very thin coats in one session with no chance of running.

Let it set up for a couple days, then lightly sanded and finished with blond Royal Lac in the usual French polish method. Had to be very careful until enough coats of blond are built up, very easy to rub or sand down through the VERY thin stain level, but the result is a more transparent staining.

Next time, I might consider a layer of varnish or lacquer over the stain layer to reduce the chance of breaking through later on. Still finish out with French polish.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog