Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone

Post by Allen » Tue May 12, 2015 7:21 am

Here's something a little different for me. I've had this Huon Pine on the shelf since 2007 and finally got around to using it. What a fantastic smell it has, and that buttery color....I just love it.

Scale length at 22" to get some more tension on the strings for the deeper tuning on this instrument.

Body - Australian Blackwood
Soundboard - Huon Pine
Neck - Brazilian Mahogany
Rosette - Blackwood
All other trim - Indian Rosewood
Tuners - Grover
Finish - Semi Gloss Lacquer
Strings - Worth Brown Baritone DGbe
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-2.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-3.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-5.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-4.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-6.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-7.jpg
Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone-9.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sleake
Myrtle

Re: Blackwood and Huon Pine Baritone

Post by sleake » Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 am

Stunning

Great to see what can be done with standard grade sets, who needs fiddleback with fine details like yours!

Did you add a truss rod/reinforcement of some kind with the longer neck?

Something to aspire too!

Steve.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue May 12, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Steve.

There is some fine fiddleback in these sets, but you really do need to roll it around in the light to see it. But it was chosen because of the color that I thought would compliment that buttery Huon Pine soundboard.

No truss rod.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Really liking the headstock inlay Allen! It looks like you've sat there with a pin and hand engraved it, then filled that with pearl. Real neat.

Stu

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Tue May 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Allen,
This is a lovely looking Baritone. The Huon looks great - buttery as you describe it. I love Huon as a timber but have wondered how it sounds. I have never played an instrument with a Huon soundboard but have thought its "oily-ness" might dampen the soundboard acoustically. Obviously not as I don't think you would use it if that was the case.
I would love to take a flying visit to Cairns (if for no other reason than to escape Canberra - it's freezing here at the moment) to try this Baritone as I would love to actually hear how the low D sounds with the extra scale length. As we have discussed before, I am looking for a fuller low D in a Baritone. Since our last communication I have replaced my el-cheapo Tanglewood with a solid spruce top Cordoda Baritone which is better in the higher registers but still has a dull D. I am thinking I will put a re-entrant D on the Cordoba and learn to enjoy a more Uke sound while I plod away at making a Baritone myself which may or may not happen before I fall off the perch like the Monty Python parrot.
Anyway, congratulations on another great looking Ukulele.
Alan

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue May 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Looks great as always!

I showed a friend of mine the other day how you blend the heel cap into the body, he agreed it's a great look.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed May 13, 2015 9:28 am

Lovely, once again.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 am

Ran out of superlatives to say about your Ukes Allen, so I'll just say I LOVE your slotted headstocks, just give the Uke that extra touch of class. :cl :cl :cl

needsmorecowbell wrote: Really liking the headstock inlay Allen! It looks like you've sat there with a pin and hand engraved it, then filled that with pearl. Real neat.
Pssst, I'll let you in on a little secret Stu, Allen has a hareem of exotic nimble fingered Phillipino girls who live in a shed at the end of his garden that do this work for him :wink: . Just don't inform the tax department. :oops:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed May 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Looking great Al.

So what is your impression of the Huon Pine now? I notice you bought some of Tim's whitebait tops so you must have found some positives in it as a top wood.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed May 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Nick wrote:Ran out of superlatives to say about your Ukes Allen, so I'll just say I LOVE your slotted headstocks, just give the Uke that extra touch of class. :cl :cl :cl

needsmorecowbell wrote: Really liking the headstock inlay Allen! It looks like you've sat there with a pin and hand engraved it, then filled that with pearl. Real neat.
Pssst, I'll let you in on a little secret Stu, Allen has a hareem of exotic nimble fingered Phillipino girls who live in a shed at the end of his garden that do this work for him :wink: . Just don't inform the tax department. :oops:
Or his wife. :P
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I had a couple of tops on the shelf since 2008. Don't know why I never picked it up to use it until now. Maybe I wanted to get to know the craft a bit better with traditional tone woods first. Anyway, I love the look and feel of the Huon Pine. Seems very stiff and had a good tap tone. And the color is fantastic.

Volume , clarity and sustain is developing very nicely over the past week under string tension, and there is fantastic bottom end with these strings. That's usually the problem with this tuning on a uke. So whether it's the string set or the Huon Pine soundboard, I'm not entirely sure as they are both new to me.

I have added a set of South Coast Uke linear set in the case so the client can try them out in GCea. They are really nice on 20" and I hoping that 22" won't be too much for them.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri May 15, 2015 6:01 am

Another classy instrument. Another lucky owner. I like the way the broken line in the back mirrors the idea of the broken lines in the rosette.
Miguel

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 am

Nice work as usual Allen.

If it's not a huge ask would it be possible to see a brief tutorial on how you do your partial rosettes. You obviously use a manual cutter (Michael OConnors tool?).

Cheers and TIA Martin
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun May 17, 2015 6:40 am

I'll see what I can do. I only have a couple of photo's but nothing that documents the entire thing.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

driver2xx
Gidgee

Post by driver2xx » Mon May 18, 2015 4:13 pm

what sealer do you use [epoxy type] onyour wood and where can i buy it,,,,,,,ken

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 18, 2015 5:38 pm

This one and another that I just sent off to England, plus the 4 others on the bench right now are done following Robbie O'Brien's tutorial of using shellac and sanding dust. You can see it here.

Previously I had been using Bote Cote epoxy. If you are in Australia you can buy it online from them, or most reasonably sized towns are sure to have a coatings store that would carry it. I get mine locally from Cairns Coatings.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Allen wrote:This one and another that I just sent off to England, plus the 4 others on the bench right now are done following Robbie O'Brien's tutorial of using shellac and sanding dust.
Interesting how we seem to have gone full circle from the old pore filling methods to more modern methods using epoxy...and then back to the old methods.
Martin