Titebond Original vs Titebond III

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alan
Sassafras

Titebond Original vs Titebond III

Post by Alan » Fri May 29, 2015 8:19 am

I notice that the Stewmac catalogue now has Titebond III as well as Titebond Original, They state it has longer work times. I would be interesting in hearing from experienced builders who are or have used Titebond III. What are the + and - of each.
Alan

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Titebond Original vs Titebond III

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri May 29, 2015 11:27 am

These are two totally different glues. Titebond III is water proof, quite a bit heat resistant, never hardens completely, and its color is brown instead of the Titebond I yellow. I have used Titebond III for gluing up purfling lines that had to undergo some serious bending, which surely also could have been done using Titebond I and a bit of care, but I doubt if I could have gotten off and again on the glued-up purfling on the once finished instrument if I had used any other glue than Titebond III. So if you are planning some mess-ups of this kind, Titebond III is the way to go. :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Fri May 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Titebond III is a really nice glue, I use it heaps on furniture and kitchen stuff - cutting boards etc and hollow timber surfboards. Made a fishing net with it too. Waterproof glue without the messy foam of polyurethane or hassle of epoxy - big plus.

However guitars don't generally need to be waterproof, and the high heat resistance makes repairs difficult.

I could imagine that the heat resistance would be great for jobs like laminating sides before/during bending but have never done anything like it so could be wrong.

Also dries much darker/black when there is a gap in the joint so a bit more visible than original.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Titebond III for bindings with purfs where some heat may be used for bending. For everything Titebond I or in my case a mixture of Titebond !. Epoxy (where I don't want any moisture in the joint) or hide glue (if high chance of the joint needing reversal (eg top and back).
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Titebond III for bindings with purfs where some heat may be used for bending. For everything Titebond I or in my case a mixture of Titebond !. Epoxy (where I dont want any moisture in the joint) or hide glue (if high chance of the joint needing reversal (eg top and back).
Martin