The Lazarus Bass Ukulele

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lauburu
Blackwood

The Lazarus Bass Ukulele

Post by lauburu » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:03 pm

A friend of mine was unfortunate enough to have his Kala UBass run over by a 4WD. Fortunately it was in one of those nylon covered foam polystyrene cases. Unfortunately those NCFPC aren't designed to withstand 4WDs. Result: a collection of mahogany toothpicks with a few bits hanging off them.

I acquired the remnants for the price of a small donation towards a replacement UBass.

The only bits that were in any way able to be salvaged were the Hipshot tuners, the fretboard, the bridge, saddle and electrics. I have rebuilt the rest as a present for my wife.

Bearclaw sitka spruce top; NZ grown Tasmanian Blackwood; mahogany neck recycled from a dressing table my wife had when she was a kid, spruce X bracing copied from the UBass.

She's very happy with how it looks and sounds. I know where all the flaws are but I'm also quite content with this effort. I would say it sounds noticeably better than a Kala Ubass and almost as good as Allen McFarlane's first bass uke (which he made for my wife).
Miguel
Attachments
EBass 4.jpg
EBass 3.jpg
EBass 2.jpg
EBass 1.jpg

dotbot
Kauri

Re: The Lazarus Bass Ukulele

Post by dotbot » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Miguel, that looks like a great project. Thanks for sharing. The story is entertaining and the woods you've used go well together (cool top!). I played one of these in a shop once and those strings feel nice, if quiet when unplugged. Do you have a photo of the x brace?

Aaron

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Interesting recycling rebuild Miguel, "It's all about the bass", are the bindings also from said chest of draws?

Well done!!

Gaz

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 am

Nicely done Miguel. They're not the easiest instrument to build that's for sure.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Wow, that is one crazy piece of bearclaw!
Nice job Miguel. :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

chappy
Sassafras

Post by chappy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Best Bearclaw I've seen to date, my small Bearclaw stash doesn't cut the mustard compared to that one.

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59 am

Thanks for the comments. It's great to get feedback.

Attached picture shows a reconstruction of the soundboard with braces attached. The Norman Gunston look with bits of paper still attached is because I glued all the toothpicks to a sheet of light card to get them aligned. The other side is a lot worse.
Braces are 6mm wide and about 15mm deep at the apex. The other dimensions you can figure out from the rule alongside.

The binding is also mahogany from the dresser. Well spotted that man!!

The bearclaw spruce is from Alaska Specialty Woods. Good product and good service but the postage is a killer.
Miguel
Attachments
Bass Bracing.JPG

dotbot
Kauri

Post by dotbot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 am

Thanks for the photo, Miguel. :shock: It's interesting (for me) to see how a bass uke is braced.

It's nice to see what you started with and all the more impressive that you got to that fine end result.

Cheers,
Aaron