Flat-top Mandolin

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dotbot
Kauri

Flat-top Mandolin

Post by dotbot » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi folks,

This is my first mandolin: started back in June and strung it up for the first time yesterday. It's the flat-top model from Graham McDonald's The Mandolin Project. Thanks for the book, Graham! It was an absolute pleasure to work my way through it.

Specs:
Top - King Billy Pine
Neck, Fretboard, Bridge, Back & Sides - Tassie Blackwood
Bindings - Jarrah
Tuners - Rubner
Blocks - QLD maple
Bracing - Western Red Cedar
Misc. - 13.5 inch scale; zero fret

Top, back, sides, FB and bindings from The Right Honourable Tim Spittle. I asked Tim for some "understated" blackwood and this is what he sent.

I went with a slotted head because I absolutely love the look though stringing the bloody thing takes a while. Bracing is X on the back and Graham's H pattern on the top. Finished with Osmo Polyx-Oil (satin matte) as recommended to me by Jens Ploesser; it was nice to work with and I'll definitely use it again.

As I said, my first mandolin so I have no reference to compare to. With that said, I'm really happy with how it turned out, both aesthetically and tonally. The colour palette is just what I was hoping for and I really like the way the Jarrah blends with the other two (though while scraping the bindings flush I got the worst splinter I've ever had). It is sweet and has great volume with lots of sustain. Though I realize sustain is not always a plus with mandolins...

Anyway, enjoy the pics and I'll post a sound sample when I figure out how to play it!
Attachments
mandolin5.png
profile 3
mandolin4.png
profile 2
mandolin3.png
profile 1
mandolin2.png
back
mandolin1.png
front
Aaron

soulman
Blackwood

Re: Flat-top Mandolin

Post by soulman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Howdy. Have to be happy with that for your first effort. Well done.