Fuscia SS6FT

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Fuscia SS6FT

Post by demonx » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 am

Something a fair bit different:

https://youtu.be/oDL34qlF264

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Fuscia SS6FT

Post by seeaxe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey Allan

Looks great. Is the music that guitar being played?
The paint colours are impressive but I think would have been tempted to use the wood itself, looked very nice. What was it, out of interest?

Also loved the 7 string burst, very cool guitar.
Cheers
Richard
Richard

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 am

The music is an old recording, probably from before I was born.

The colour was the customers choice, the timber as you could tell from the video a rebuild as I screwed up the first body, the rear centreline didn't match the top centreline, out by 5mm. It was a CAD/CNC stuff up that I didn't notice until I test fit the neck and things didn't look right, anyway the walnut I made the second body from was s piece I had B graded as it fad dine big holes which I had to fill before it took the solid colour. I have plenty more of it that is not B grade.

dotbot
Kauri

Post by dotbot » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Allan, I have watched the video a couple times now and I have to say that the fretboard is memorable. I like it a lot.

Your artistry shows in that. I'm sure the owner is well pleased.

Cheers
Aaron

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:20 am

So far the owner has only seen the photos I have sent, but from the messages and phone calls he says it's better than he imagined.

He lives a reasonable distance away and works 14hr shifts as an ambulance officer which doesn't leave much time for travelling, however he wants to pick it up in person and collection is set for a fortnight away when he has a space in his roster.

The paint in person looks so much better than in the photos, with my basic (mobile phone) camera I just can't capture the depth or detail of this type of paint.

It was first sprayed metallic silver, then sprayed with a candy (trans) fuscia that is full of pearl flake, then several layers of clear.

The light shines through the clear and is reflecting off so many surfaces of pearl flake and under that the metallic flake, the camera just can't focus on what it really looks like and it can only be appreciated by holding in person.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am

Nice one I like the headstock joint makes a lot of wood saving sense great work.John
John ,of way too many things to do.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 am

routout wrote:Nice one I like the headstock joint makes a lot of wood saving sense great work.John
Thanks.

A lot of my earlier builds had one piece necks with no scarf, I hated wasting so much timber but it's the way I was first instructed. Doing it this way I can choose timber more effectively (avoiding defects) as there is less guess work as to what is inside the smaller blank as opposed to carving away from a massive chunk of timber and then having a heap of waste I cannot reuse.

With this method I can also combine quarter sawn neck with a flat sawn head stock, which looks better but again WAY less waste. So less environmental impact as I'm not wasting as much timber, less financial burden as I'm getting better use of raw materials and it also results in a better end product, so its a win/win/win.