Lurkers first Tenor Ukulele build

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Vincent
Gidgee

Lurkers first Tenor Ukulele build

Post by Vincent » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 am

I’ve lurked long enough, now to emerge from the shadows. My name is Vincent and live in Wellington New Zealand. I recently finished my first independent build of a 14 fret Tenor Ukulele using plans from Georgia Luthier Supply Co. Built using spline tenon joint construction from recycled Rimu for the neck, back and sides and Qld Maple for the three fan braced top. Mahogany and Kauri binding on the body with MOP rosette inlay, solid Kauri kerfing, bevel cutaway shoulder and side port soundhole all with a rubbed true oil finish. Bound Rosewood fingerboard and English Box bridge, Sta-tite Grover tuners and bone nut and saddle.

Overall I’m pleased with how it turned out but there was a lot of learning along the way. Sound quality is OK and works best fingerpicking with low g tuning on Worth clear strings.

I’m keen to start another build but I’d like to get a more predictable outcome in sound quality so I’m intrigued by the Trevor Gore method but daunted by the science and cost of “The Books”. I would love to hear from any other makers in Wellington NZ. to share experience with. I plan to measure resonance on this Uke this week.

I struggled with the board thicknessing and I’m considering building a drum sander but I’m not sure a home built sander is good economics compared to buying a jet sander that I know would work. I used Titebond original glue throughout on this build but want to try hot hide glue for box construction and bridge placement on the next. I would welcome any feedback on these ponderings or advice on ways to improve my building.
Attachments
Tenor #2 Qld Maple top Rimu sides.JPG
Tenor #2 English Box bridge.JPG
Tenor #2 bevel cutaway.JPG
Tenor #2 back.JPG
IMG_6796.JPG
IMG_6785.JPG

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Lurkers first Tenor Ukulele build

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 am

Extremely ambitious build as your first solo venture. Well done.

Predictability and consistency in tone is something that's going to take a great many instruments under your belt to start to get a handle on it. There is just no other way around it, especially on a ukulele as the sound producing realestate is so small.

If you want to continue building, then a drum sander is pretty much an essential tool in the workshop. Along with the dust extractor as they are useless with out one.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 am

Nice work Vincent....exceedingly successful for a first effort.
Martin

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Cool start, I cut my first back and sides with a panel saw :o You mention the cost of books I have a bunch all over the years they would add up to Trevor Gore book I guess ,now thinking about it it would be a smart purchase ,look at it like programs for the PC they cost heaps some 7k all the development and testing not to mention knowledge and research .So I guess value added ,cheers John.
John ,of way too many things to do.

Vincent
Gidgee

Post by Vincent » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for the comments. I do intend to keep building so maybe I need to see these costs as an investment.

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 am

Wow! You gotta be happy with that. Looks great!

-Derek
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."