Holy Teredo!

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Holy Teredo!

Post by martintaylor » Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 am

Here's a new one! This guitar has a spruce soundboard that has been naturally sculpted by the teredo mollusc (shipworm). The Spruce log was floating around the islands of Alaska for many years, then retrieved by Brent from Alaska Specialty Woods. I decided to see if I could make a guitar from what would normally be discarded timber. The outcome is really surprising. The mids and highs are great, the lows are a little light (to be expected as there is virtually no air frequency) but what is surprising is how nice and even the whole guitar sounds. It also has what has been described by those playing/listening to it as a "stereo/chorusy" sound. Blackwood back and sides, ebony fretboard, Birdseye Huon headstock veneer, Falcate braced. Gidgee bridge. I also put in a Barbera transducer pickup that is ridiculously responsive. This game is so much fun.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Holy Teredo!

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 am

Very interesting Martin!
You will have difficulty doing any Chladni patterns with the tea leaves on that one. And I wonder how many times a plectrum is going to disappear into one of those holes?