Cedar/Cuban mahogany Grand Concert Cutaway

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave White
Blackwood

Cedar/Cuban mahogany Grand Concert Cutaway

Post by Dave White » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:39 am

I got this one finished in time for delivery last week to a good friend of mine at the annual guitar camp in Burwell that I go to. It has a fabulous Western Red Cedar top from Shane, and Cuban Mahogany back, sides and neck. The Cuban mahogany was imported into England from Jamaica in1908 (not strictly Cuban but close enough for me) and is fabulous wood that is pretty much fully quartersawn across the whole width of the back – not bling but stunning wood all the same and a joy to work with. The neck is cut from the same wood billet as the back and sides. The binding is curly koa (again from Shane) with an ebony fingerboard bound with the koa. Headstock veneers and middle section of the end-graft is Australian blackwood, with curly narra bridge (ebony pins) and handmade tuner buttons. It’s 13 frets clear of the body with 630mm scale length, Florentine cutaway and side soundport. Finish is nitro (over Z-poxy on the b/s) and Tru-oil on the neck. The Cuban gives the expected mahogany sound with rosewood overtones and I’m very pleased with the sound out of the blocks. I know it’s going to get better and better as cedar does open up a lot with time too. As Martine is a singer rather than fingerstyle player, and as I only currently have three working left-hand fingers I thought it appropriate to record a song (the downside is you have to listen to my singing) so did my arrangement of Joni Mitchell’s “For the Rosesâ€
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:22 am

Dave, the guitar is beautiful and sounds wonderful. Nothing less than what I've come to expect from you.

Now for the sound clip... Dave, you missed your calling. You should have been signed up with a label years ago! When anyone says they are going to sing, after listening to a few clips passed around on the OLF I cringe and debate clicking on the link. But you can sing and sing well. I'm still trying to remember who you sound like, but I'm horrible with names. When I play it for Fran she'll know. Trust me, there was no downside to that clip.

Hope your fingers are healing well.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:45 am

Dave,

Beautiful as I have come to expect mate, My wife and I both commented how the mix favours the guitar, no bad thing but you sing well.

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:39 am

Dave, I think I've already told you how much I like this guitar, but it's really good to hear it played as well, your better with three fingers than most with four! As to the singing, well........

As Dave said this Cuban mahogany came from a log imported into the UK from Jamaica in 1908, but the tree came down in 1858 so has been nicely seasoning for 150 years waiting for a craftsman of Dave's skill to do it justice. I have two of it's sister sets and as Dave said this wood is absolutely stunning, I think it's probably the finest guitar wood I have ever held in my hand.

Great guitar as always Dave, you did the wood justice alright.

Colin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:06 am

Gorgeous Dave. You cetainly don't see wood like that around much any more.

K & K pickup I'm assuming?

Loved the playing and singing as well. Nothing wrong with the vocal chords mate. :D
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 am

Nice work as always Dave.

Now youve got a nice Cuban all you need is a big glass of Cognac and an equally sprited female companion. :shock:

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Another beauty, my friend!! I especially like the detail work with the binding and purfling. Really great color scheme with the mahogany. There is a real vintage look to the color and finish. Well done.

Ron

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Mate that is a beautiful guitar and it sings. Love your playing and vocals. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Alan

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 am

Lillian,

I'm blushing :oops: I'm glad you like the song, Joni is one of my long time heroes (heroines :shock: ). The finger is healing but I'm amazed at how much I can adapt my playing without it - that has been really interesting and useful in expanding my playing.

Sebastiaan,

You are right, I sang it a bit soft and found it hard to mix in. I'll try another mix putting the master volume up a little. As I was showcasing the guitar it's probably OK.

Colin,

Thanks. If my cashflow had been good enough I would have snapped up more sets and when it recovers I will. I have to agree with you that it's the best b/s wood I've had the priviledge to use so far.

Bob,

Thanks. The wood was worth the hunt (thanks for the info on a source Colin). The guitar has no pickup - just strap buttons. If it gets one it will be a K&K mini - those things are awesome.

Martin,

Thanks. As to your second para, I heven't a clue what you are talking about and think that some pictures to illustrate would be in order :D

Ron,

Thanks. 150+ year old wood is a great start for vintage and Shane's great cedar top was the icing on the cake.

Alan,

Thanks. High praise indeed coming from you.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Dave
I'm a bit slow getting in but I agree with the above comments, a very nice looking guitar the back and sides look terriffic, it has all come together well, nice choice of timbers. I havn't heard it yet but will do.
Taff