Walnut back red cedar top, claro/black walnut

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tootalltom
Gidgee

Walnut back red cedar top, claro/black walnut

Post by Tootalltom » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm

20150514_140255.jpg
Attachments
20150514_140109.jpg
20150514_140125.jpg
20150514_140209.jpg

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Walnut back red cedar top, claro/black walnut

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Very nice, I like the end wedge :cl
Trent

Tootalltom
Gidgee

Post by Tootalltom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks, several jig trials to compensate for the curvature of the body. Should of posted that the bindings, fingerboards, bridge are holly. All* the woods used in this guitar I milled and were from development sites that were destined for the dump.
*The top was from a cedar log that washed up onto the beach in front of my home that is 35 to 50 years to the inch.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

You achieved a really unique look with that combination of woods. It appears to be very skillfully executed. And it would feel great to have sourced all of the timber yourself. I love that you rescued that amazing looking walnut from the scrap heap. What finish did you use for the gloss?

Tootalltom
Gidgee

Post by Tootalltom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks
For the interest. Having worked with a friend who built guitars for Larrivee for the past twelve years I started designing my own body styles and wood combinations four years ago. I am fortunate to have quite a huge stash of really rare and noncommercial woods that I attained thru my former occupation in civil engineering.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Some great colours in this one. I used red cedar for a soundboard in a recent build and thought it had pretty good tone. Very strong in the midrange in particular.

I also used it for the neck of my last guitar. It looked identical to some spanish cedar i had (although diff species) so I actually used some spanish cedar in the heel block because I was running short on wood - i still cant tell the difference between the woods in the heel even knowing its a diff wood.

Tootalltom
Gidgee

Post by Tootalltom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

I have great opportunity for red cedar and spruce living here on the coast of British Columbia. Red cedar is a great top wood and the colour variations are huge. I have some cedar that is heavy and some light as a feather..it all comes down to the tap tone. One note, red cedar on a large guitar I think can be risky, as it splitts along the grain easily. I would consider gluing some veneer on the inside in strategic locations depending on your bracing system.

Tootalltom
Gidgee

Post by Tootalltom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 pm

I have great opportunity for red cedar and spruce living here on the coast of British Columbia. Red cedar is a great top wood and the colour variations are huge. I have some cedar that is heavy and some light as a feather..it all comes down to the tap tone. One note, red cedar on a large guitar I think can be risky, as it splitts along the grain easily. I would consider gluing some veneer on the inside in strategic locations depending on your bracing system.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm

My mistake... I used Australian red cedar and assumed you had used the same. Youhave turned that WRC a nice colour.

I'm a fan of WRC too... interesting thoughts you make on needing to be careful with it. I once owned a Bernabe guitar that had a cedar top and hardly any bracing at all... just one brace down the middle and a couple of closing bars! It sounded superb and has held up since 1974 ;) As you say, there is variation ... it must have been some stiff cedar!