#012 - "3 Planks" 6 String fretless bass

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

#012 - "3 Planks" 6 String fretless bass

Post by slowlearner » Sat May 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Been a while since I've post on here, but here's my latest effort.

Specs are as follows...
Scale: 39"
Strings: White tapewound La Bella Strings (last set unfortunately)
Neck: 5 piece laminated Victorian Ash, single double action truss rod, graphite bars, Jarrah fingerboard, 20" radius. Bolt on headstock of recycled Aussie hardwood (same as body) with custom string anchors. Laminated, recycled bone and veneer nut. Custom neck and body joining system.
Body: Recycled Aussie hardwood wings, unsure of species or origin. Used to be a desk top.
Bridge: Laminated Jarrah and veneer.
Tuners: ETS headless tailpiece.
Electronics: Nordstrand Audio custom thin DC6 humbuckers, 26mm piezo discs, passive blend system.
Weight: 4kg

The genesis of this bass came from a guitar now affectionately called, "Skeletor". Basically I was trying to do two thing...
1. Have an electric guitar where the body is physically influenced by string tension and the resonance, some what like an acoustic.
2. Building an electric guitar with the least timber possible, with simple construction and fewer steps involved in building.
I call the construction system "3 Planks".

Here's a clip of the bass...

https://soundcloud.com/simpleinnovation ... s-finished
Pete

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: #012 - "3 Planks" 6 String fretless bass

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 am

Hi Pete
I love the attitude shown in this guitar - just get the job done. And it sounds great!.
The bolt-on headstock, metal plates to hold the planks together (is there glue in there too, or can you really break the whole thing down with a phillips-head screwdriver?) - it is a triumph of practicality. Makes me realize that we can get a bit precious about aesthetics and perfect design sometimes.
cheers
Mark

slowlearner
Blackwood

Re: #012 - "3 Planks" 6 String fretless bass

Post by slowlearner » Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 am
Hi Pete
I love the attitude shown in this guitar - just get the job done. And it sounds great!.
The bolt-on headstock, metal plates to hold the planks together (is there glue in there too, or can you really break the whole thing down with a phillips-head screwdriver?) - it is a triumph of practicality. Makes me realize that we can get a bit precious about aesthetics and perfect design sometimes.
cheers
Mark
Thanks for kind words. I know it's a bit 'graphic', but yes. I was shooting for extreme practicality, somewhat like a 1960's racecar. And yes you can break the whole thing down with a screwdriver (and allen key for the strings) in 5 mins.

There is one glue joint, a block on the back of the neck. I wish I'd done that another way now. You can't see it, but the joint shifted slightly and ticked me off something savage. :lol:

I'm starting a new build at the mo. I'll post that.
Pete