Figured Maple

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Figured Maple

Post by Dave M » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:14 am

Drawing 1 small.jpg
I haven't been too productive this year but have managed to finish these two which I am very pleased with.
Fronts small.jpg
One is a standard Trevor Falcate steel string. A design I keep going back to since it works so well. and the other is my Torres influenced classical. Yes I know it Doesn't look much like Torres but if we agree that what goes on in the upper bout doesn't matter much. Then I have braced it very closely to the SE 114 drawn by Geoff Elliot. If you look at my outline superimposed on the Torres you can see that the lower bout outline is not that different.
Bracing like so. Also you can see the fairly shallow body.

Sorry I can never seem to place pics where I want them. I have added some more general views. It really was some nice maple. My first time using abalone - a bit rough but not too bad.

I was worried that the thinly braced top (just over 2mm) would be stiff enough but Trevor's 2 degree rotation reassured me. And it really is a nice sounding classical, Just as it is a good SS.
Attachments
Rosettesmall.jpg
Headstock2 small.jpg
Headstock 1 small.jpg
Cutaways small.jpg
Bridgesmall.jpg
Backs 2 small.jpg
Top 1 small.jpg
------------------
Dave

Fisherman
Blackwood

Re: Figured Maple

Post by Fisherman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Two lovely looking guitars, Dave. I built my last classical using maple and loved using it. These are very classy looking instruments - the bindings and purflings match nicely with the maple.

Im glad you are enjoying the tone. If you dont mind me asking, did you edge thin on this one? With my Torres inspired builds I have worked to introduce flex by thinning the bracing down quite a bit below the bridge and then edge thinning a bit too. Im just interested to know your thoughts on what works ...

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks Fisherman. I didn't show them but my mitred purflings at the tail strip are gradually improving!
And that is a good question. I keep thinking I should be doing some thinning but on this build I felt it was really such a light weight top that I didn't.

It is Engelmann, taken to around 2.1 to 2.1 mm. Unfortunately I didn't do the usual measurements on it. The fact that it shows Trevor's 2 degrees of bridge rotation suggests that at least in the bridge area it is around the right stiffness. Whether thinning the edges would have improved we won't now know!

It is however by far the most responsive CL I've built. In particular the trebles remain clear and loud right up the fretboard. I don't have to sell them so I always include a cutaway even though they always give me grief. I have attempted to play the VIlla Lobos 1st prelude (badly) and the cutaway makes life much easier.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Nice work Dave...are both guitars going to the same owner? Would be a shame to split them up.
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks Martin. I will be keeping the classical to do my terrible playing on since I have got rid of most of my others.
The SS I'll have to see if anyone is interested.
------------------
Dave

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Two great results. Like figured maple timber finish.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 am

Great pair of guitars Dave! The finish on the maple back looks gorgeous too
Trent

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Noting your obvious building skill, I suspect another reason it turned out well is the Engelmann - it is super stuff for classicals!

I have a few different spruces in the stash but keep reaching for the Engelmann....

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Englemann, Lutz, 50% of available Sitka, Apalachian Red Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce... all these 5 North American Spruce are as good as traditional Euro Spruce (overall), not enough makers rank it because they don't try them! Maple is in the ballmark of Rosewood type weight and stiffness, but so are many more woods now turning up. Flamed Maple always look beautiful, love North American rock maple too.