Captain Cook's Completed Classical

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Captain Cook's Completed Classical

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Captain Cook's classical is done.

This was built for a bloke who wanted a nylon string guitar rather than a classical guitar so I talked him into this style of instrument on the proviso that if he didn't like it I'd build him another one in the "classical" style.

It's based on an O16-NY with a hybrid X-brace/fan braced bracing, Engelmann Spruce top, Tasmanian Oak back and sides, Spanish Cedar neck, Ebony fingerboard and Brazilian Rosewood bridge, 12 frets to the body and Ebony bindings.

As far as the sound of it goes I'm not really sure as I'm not a classical player and I have nothing to compare it with. It has adequate volume but I feel that the top end is a little more subdued than a classical guitarist would like.

I will say that the Tas Oak is terrific stuff to work with, has a great tap tone and I don't know of any other wood with such beautiful figure and tone that you can buy for $70 a set. If you want to chase some down Tim Spittle is who I bought it from. The Spanish cedar neck blank came from Uncle Bob and the Spruce from Graham Hein.

Thanks for looking

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:41 pm

A very unique looking guitar Bob...I love the inlay at the 12th fret.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 pm

I like the 12th fret inlay as well and would be interested to hear how this guitar sounds in a few month when the nylon strings have had a chance to load the wood and pull that top into tension. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Very cool Bob! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:59 pm

That's a gorgeous guitar Bob. I have a set of the Tassie Oak I bought from Tim myself. Hmmm!!! Man it looks strinking under finish.

Thanks for posting

Cheers

Alan

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Bob, up to your usual standards. That Tasmanian oak is certainly an amazing looking piece of wood. Australia is fast becoming the place we now look to for inspitrational builds (it's all right Howard doesn't come here).

It'll take time for the top to open up, If the top end doesn't come together and open up as you want then try a higher tension string, something like Hannabach Goldins or La Bella 900W which has a wound 3rd. You're on unknown territory but nylon strung instruments are much more string sensitive than steels.

Colin

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 pm

Beautiful looking guitar, Bob. I agree with Colin. It's going to take some time before you know, for sure, about the sound.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:04 am

Holy Emus, that's pretty.
Very nice work, Bob.
Like Alan, I have a set of that Tassie Oak and your build certainly makes
me want to get going!

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 am

That's a beauty Bob, and the finish is looking great. If the customer doesn't end up liking it, I don't think that you'd have any trouble finding someone who would want to take that off your hands.

Are you cutting your MC by hand, or getting someone to make them up for you? It looks great by the way.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:53 am

I ... would be interested to hear how this guitar sounds in a few month when the nylon strings have had a chance to load the wood and pull that top into tension
I am trying to make some sense of this.

If an instrument hasn't got a bright top end, it hasn't, and I can't see how a few months to 'load the wood' will do anything to improve that
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 am

Wow Bob,

Ive got some crapiata out the back, what could you do with that!?! Seriously nice guitar an its such a pity that Tassie Oak is not so highly regarded.

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:02 am

I like. I I grew up in a tassie-oak-panelled kitchen. Tassy oak is such a familiar wood, but not often we see it so figured. Seems odd to make instruments with it, but it seems to work well and looks every bit as good as more exotic woods.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Bob
Nice looking guitar, I would never have thiought to use Tassie Oak. As said earlier there is a lot of inspiration gained from Australian luthiers. Stumbling across the ANZLF was the first time I had payed any attention to Australian built instruments, now every week there is inspiration.

All the info I have gained over the years has come from the USA. Athough I have gained a lot of info about mainstreem traditional tone woods, I have always thought that almost any wood with the qualities needed could produce decent tone depending on how you work it. I have saved anything 1/4 sawn and now feel happy to try other timbers.

Last year I put a new back on an Alverez [a job deemed to expensive for the customer] I did it for by grandson as he wanted an acoustic. I used Meranti [philipine mahogany] and the guitar sounded far better than before.
Taff

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 am

Meranti huh?

Yeah I've wondered whether "pacific maple" had potential ...

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm

The Tas. Oak looks superb Bob ! I too like the 12th fret inlay and the elegant rosette. Yet another winner !

Cheers mate
Craig Lawrence

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think there'll always be some resistance to Gum Tree guitars in this country because it's so common. Lets face it, just about everyone has a Gum Tree in their yard and if they haven't the next door neighbor will.

And most older houses are built from it or at least have some Gum Tree furniture in it.

I'll certainly be looking forward to using it more and definitely on a steel string next time.

It's nice to work with, this set had a huge bottom end tap tone (the top end is more akin to mahogany) and it bent easily considering it was highly figured. Add in that Tim is selling it for 70 bucks a set. What more can I say.

Allen - we get the logos from Aust Mother of Pearl Supplies. They were about $10 each from memory.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars