My two most recent solid bodies

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

McCreed
Beefwood

My two most recent solid bodies

Post by McCreed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 am

As a newcomer, I just thought I'd share a couple things I've done recently.
These are parts built not scratchies, but they came up okay and play & sound great.
Thanks for looking :shock:
MRC-PRS finished 25pc.jpg
Stra-Tele x 3.jpg
An empty guitar case just needs fillin'

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: My two most recent solid bodies

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Both looking great. It must feel great to put something together that works exactly as planned.
I am not an electric guy at all. But your first photo reminds me that I have got an old Ibanez Jet King 2 sitting around in the workshop that doesn’t work (the orange finish and twin humbuckers in yours are similar). I really should dig mine out and fix it. It is probably a bit of simple soldering, but I haven’t got a clue. If you were close by I would sling it to you for a tune up.

The blue “looks like a tele but set up like a strat” is an interesting creation. What is going on there?

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks Mark!

"The blue “looks like a tele but set up like a strat” is an interesting creation. What is going on there?"

That is my "Stra-Tele"!
I really dig the tele body shape but also love the strat pickup configuration. It's sort of a spin-off of the Nashville Teles (3 pickup).
The one thing I don't like with tele bodies are the "square" edges so I like to do my t-style bodies with the front and rear contours that a strat have. I can't buy anything like that off the shelf, (without paying thousands of $$ to the Custom Shop) so I make my own the way I like!

I also did an alternate wiring scheme on that one so I can neck & bridge pickup together - like a tele :D

I realising the "electric guys" are the minority here, but I think I'll fit in okay just the same.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Like the guitars. The Tele shape / Stra combination is an interesting idea. The Blue colour body also looks great.

At this stage I have only built acoustic guitars and this is my passion. However, one day I hope to build an electric guitar.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:12 am

Wayne, from what I've seen of you acoustic work, a solid body electric would be a walk in the park for you.
And thanks.

KirbyMD
Kauri

Post by KirbyMD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 pm

You got me with the stra-tele,
normally I see a strat or tele and keep on walking, LPs as well and I admit I did so here....
Strat with tele headstock I'll keep walking....wait a second...somethings different about this one.
Then I actually looked at it and thought yep, that's cool even the color suits it.
Nicely executed and I'd like to see more built this way.

McCreed
Beefwood

Post by McCreed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 am

"Nicely executed and I'd like to see more built this way."

Thanks Kirby.
If I play a standard tele body (sans front & rear contours) it just feels weird now. Especially sitting. That top edge just sticks me in the ribs!
This one is very comfy, sitting or standing.
The ash tele in my profile pic is also contoured the same way. I made that one two years ago and it's slightly more traditional, but with a couple custom features.

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am

Love the "Stra-Tele" design. I am in the planning stages of a custom Tele build, and the sharp edges are one of the things that I am not a fan of too. Using the body sculpting on a Tele body shape works really well.

Thanks for sharing!
Ian

Carpenter turned Knifemaker, now tentatively trying Luthiery as yet another hobby on the list...