My Mandolin USA bound

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

My Mandolin USA bound

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi
I was talking to a customer today who was telling me about how pleased his cousin is with a mandolin I sent to him in the states, some months ago. So I was encouraged to post a picture.

I had built one for the guy I was talking to, he sent a CD of his group playing to the USA, and to cut long story short, his cousin ordered a mandolin the same as his. What worried me was that the cousin played a Gibson mandolin, and when I told him the aprox cost, he said without a pause "too cheep". But anyway heres what he got, or nearly didn't get as I thought it may not have been up to his standard.

As it turned out he was so happy $300.00us dollars extra showed up in the mail some time later along with glowing stories about the feedback he was getting.

The back and sides are NG Rosewood and the top is Cedar, the neck is Hon Mahogany, Peghead veneer is Burniken Plum, inlays MOP and Abalone. Top and Back are not carved. Scroll is HR Maple

Taff

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:42 pm

How come I cant get it right heres photo one

the name of the Mandolin is "Southern Cross"

Taff

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 am

Taff, cool looking mando. And what excellent feedback. It doesn't get any better than to have people who know go out of their way to thank you for a great job. Far more satisfying than the actual sale I suspect.

I once had a guy send me a postcard from half way around the world telling me how great the 2 surfboards I had made him were going and he told me about a cool new surf spot as an extra payment.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 am

Sensational Taffy! You love working with the NG Rosewood and cedar don't you! Love the sunburst finish and the headstock is first class.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Alan

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 am

Very Cool Taffy!, based on an A4? I like the scroll on the top and the dots around the soundhole, very southern cross.

Whats your secret with NGR, I keep on cracking mine every time it gets near the bending iron,

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:14 am

:serg

There's not much that I could add to that Taffy. When a customer gives you more than you asked because they're so pleased with your product.... well, there's not much more satisfaction than that.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:14 am

Taffy,

Lovely looking - and from the customers response - sounding instrument. Kudos to you. Moments like that make it all worthwhile!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 am

WOW ! , What a superb looking instrument Taff . Absolutley beautiful craftsmanship. When the customer pays more than required, it means a WHOLE lot .

Cheers.
Craig Lawrence

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:02 am

Very nice Taffy.

Nothing better than a satisfied customer,eh........cheers

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks for your comments everyone.
I feel that its not only the care ones puts into the instrument we build or repair, but the care and consideration shown to ones customers that together contribute to such great rewards.
Only last Monday a father came in with his son, neither new anything about guitars. He needed an 'E' string replaced, I did it while he waited. I was asked how much and I said shrugging my shoulders two bucks. So why you may ask did he give me $10.00 when he had the two and a five in his wallet, and refused to have any change. Looking back it could be some or all of the following:
First I made them feel welcome and important [we have all been in the music store where the salesman thinks he is to too good a musician to talk to you]. The music shop down the road told them to change the whole set, this is a brand new guitar, and sold them a set. I said keep them till they all need changing and I would put one string on, which I did. We talked about what I was doing and why, I showed them how to use a tuner, and why the string broke in the first place. I offered to put the whole set on when due. I'm getting carried away here, but I could share a great story of how the same approach to one unknown customer has netted me 5 commissions including this mandolin.
Taff

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Well put Taffy. I'm probably not the only one that will gladly pay a premium for great service, and a respectful attitude. It's far too rare these days. And I've seen the polar opposite from people, myself included that will walk out and make a point of telling others to give said business a wide berth, no matter how good the price.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia