relic lecky

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

relic lecky

Post by nkforster » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Every now and again I make an electric. This one was made right at the end of our spell in Germany - I made it in late 2017. Pine body, maple neck, Bare Knuckle P90s.

youtu.be/Dn6yXpk8NUk

Sadly, it was one of the ones nicked from the workshop about a year ago. Oh well.

Nice guitar though.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: relic lecky

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm

I enjoyed the video and liked the smooth sound as well as the playing style. Great result.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Nigel
I love the reliced look you achieve. Maybe I am interested in this because my ability to produce a clean conventional finish is very poor - and I realize I should work on that. However, the ability to produce something that looks plausible used and worn is also something that I am interested in. What are your relicing secrets? Like spilling a cup of warm sweet tea on it, or dragging behind a motorbike, or using trained rodents?
All tips gratefully received

Mark M

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 am

I didn't finish it. There is an old feller where I hail from who spent the last 40 years or so making "replicas." So he's pretty good at making them look old. He did it. But as far as I can gather, the tools of the trade are a freezer, a sandblaster and a bottle of bitumen. You'd have to look on the electric guitar builder forums to learn more.