"000" finished and delivered

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

"000" finished and delivered

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:26 pm

This ‘000’ style guitar was finished two weeks ago and delivered last weekend to, I’m pleased to report, a happy customer. As with all my guitars it’s named after Charters Towers gold mines of the 1800’s, please meet “Dawnâ€
Taff

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Oh, that's so nice Taffy. Understated elegance, and it's going to look great no matter how tastes and styles change. Are the tuners Scheallers? From what I can see they look like the ones I used on my Size 5.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Very nice, clean styling, Taffy. The side shot shows how that Narra glows. (I'm thinking that "NG Rosewood" is what I know as Narra, but maybe I'm wrong.)

Exciting that it had its voice immediately - that's got to mean it will get even better!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Taffy,

That's a lovely little guitar - a new "Dawn"! Nice woods and detailing. You certainly like narra. Cedar always sounds "played in" out of the bloks but I have found that it does open up over time but in a less obvious way than spruce. Small guitars are great and loudness is an interesting thing - not always decibels but what a listener hears. You can always hear the small dogs over the others in a pack.

Great stuff!!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:50 am

Hi Taffy,

Great looking guitar and a terrific choice of materials. I like the way the cedar show different colours, I assume that is a two piece top... Would you describe a bit how you do your fingerboard tongue bolt, do you use any washers? is it a 3/8"?

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 am

Sorry about the quality of the photo's, I should have borrowed the wifes camera, or better still read the book on the Pentax I used. It's getting to the stage where part of Lutherie is a photographic course.

Anyway thanks for the kind comments everyone......

Dave, your small dogs comment, yep I agree. I used to play at a pub acoustic jam and was having trouble being heard . The answer was to take one of my small bodied NG Rosewood/Cedar guitars, my lead picking just cut though the 'pick an strum' of the others.

Allen, Yes they are Schallers [with the collars fitted] gives a bit smoother action and no chance of wear from post into timber. And maybe due to the string contacting a post that goes from metal to metal it may contribute in some small way to sustain, I use fingerboard nuts with more mass with this in mind. I have not done any test on this tho.

Sabastiaan, I'll post some pictures of the unglued fingerboard set up. This one was a bit of an experiment, and it works. The ebony cap at the end of the fingerboard is fixed to the top and locates the F/board in place. plus one bolt midway up the tognue. I've had many ideas over the years, if I was to check back I'd probably find a different system for each guitar.
Taff

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 pm

very nice work ,Taffy.
as well as what everyone else has mentioned I really like the simple elegance of the rosette.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Here are a few more pics of Dawn from her very proud and happy owner! :D Someday in the future I hope to be able to build a guitar as good as this one. Beauitful vintage vibe and awesome tone. Thank you Taffy my friend.

Cheers

Alan

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Alan,

to quote Monty Python "you lucky, lucky, barstard"

BTW, Is that Buffalo Grass?, I think your mower blades need sharpening...

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 pm

You lucky duck Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm

I just love the look of that top. How come most people want them to just look so homogenized and bland.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Alfred J
Myrtle

Post by Alfred J » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 am

Simply beautiful 8)
Looking at that I was thinking how difficult it must be to properly finish a slotted peg head.
No doubt about jarrah. Made some very classy looking bindings from it but haven't used it yet for a fretboard.
If its at all possible, please post a sound clip.

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Grrrreat looking guitar, Taffy.
That inlay in the peghead is fantastic.
It ain't easy to inlay into light-colored wood, but you make it look easy!

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:24 pm

This is a really nice looking guitar Taffy, your work is always well executed and tasteful.

Cheers

Kim

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:53 pm

Tongue Fitting
Sabastiaan asked: Would you describe a bit how you do your fingerboard tongue bolt, do you use any washers? is it a 3/8"?

Sabastiaan here are some photos of the fitting of this guitars tongue. If the neck rod comes down to, and through, the brace above the soundhole then one bolt in the middle does not work. At these times I use two bolts one either side of the rod, as on my Resonator guitars. These are hidden as shown on the two guitars shown. What ever covers the bolt head has to be able to be pushed out so it is a snug push fit. The bolts I use are 1/8â€
Taff

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 am

Thanks Taffy, makes sense now,

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........