Bear claw spruce & red gum mando

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Bear claw spruce & red gum mando

Post by lamanoditrento » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:12 pm

I bought a bunch of spruce tops from Martin Turner a couple of years ago and he threw in a small bear claw soundboard. It has been kicking around my stash until a couple of things happened. A student approached the Brissy school armed with Graham's booking and asked to make a mandolin. The student made two mandolins with me and they were really fun builds. I also 'won' one of Pete Curly's instagram auctions which included a long redgum solid body set. I was so impressed with the student's builds that I couldn't resist making one.

I have to say also that Graham's book is great. My build was a quick hit of fun, I think it took longer to french polish it than it took to build. In addition to the bear claw spruce and redgum back and sides, the neck is silver quandong and the fretboard and bindings are ringed gidgee (which the photos don't do justice of).
IMG_0602.jpeg
IMG_0635.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0701.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0624.jpeg
Trent

Bob_H
Blackwood

Re: Bear claw spruce & red gum mando

Post by Bob_H » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:30 pm

That looks very nice. I recently bought a mandolin to help me learn a bit about them, as I would also like to make one. Inspiring!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:15 am

Very nice looking Trent.

I got started on a build from Graham's book but the gardening season opened and it is somewhat paused! Must get back to it.

What type of neck body joint did you use?
------------------
Dave

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 am

Dave M wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:15 am

What type of neck body joint did you use?
I used basically a butt join, however I installed a cross grain support block a bit like an inverted tenon to support the single threaded insert. I didn't like the idea of the threaded insert and all that end grain.
Trent