ANOTHER big earthquake in Christchurch

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: ANOTHER big earthquake in Christchurch

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Nick wrote:
What they don't say in picture #35 in this collection is that while these poor buggers were grieving the loss of a wife & mother in town, some A-hole was emptying their house of all it's possessions! There are some scum around at this time,out numbered by the angels fortunately but still a few that see it as an opportunity rather than a disaster!
Theres always been a scumbag element in Christchurch....Im all for naming and shaming. Front page newspaper photos of the culprits along with their addresses.

I havent heard back from Charlie Jemmett yet. I talked to Allan Cattermole at The Rock Shop and hes trying to get in contact with Charlie.

My niece pissed off she cant get to uni for a few weeks.....wish I loved uni that much when I was a student!

Im still booked over March 24th..will be bringing my gumboots and a shovel.

Cheers Martin
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Nick wrote:It's great to see sooooo many local businesses donating whatever they can, even to the extent of one supermarket over the road from the base, just chucking us the keys & telling us to go and help ourselves to anything on the floor or shelves, food & supplies are coming out the wazoo.
Hey Nick,

I think it is completely appropriate to name and fame an effort like that. I will be in Christchurch no time soon, but if and when I was to turn up, I would like to know their name so I could make a point of supporting a business with such a fantastic level of commitment to its community.

Glad to hear that things are settling a little and can only hope for some better luck for your community from here on. Really sad to hear of the loss of so much heritage and completely tragic the death toll, but ur a tough lot and the sun will shine for Christchurch again, of that I am certain.

Cheers

Kim

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

As well as the 2 mins silence, theres also an email doing the rounds asking people to wear red and black tomorrow (Canterbury and Crusader colours!!) to show a bit of solidarity. I'll be doing that - its a statement of support that doesnt cost anything but means a lot because we will all know what it means. Those of us here for the Americas Cup campaign will remember the red socks.

So if you see anyone sporting those colours in Oz tomorrow, they are probably Kiwis.

Cheers

Richard
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Red T shirt and black pants out ready for tomorrow and the 2 minutes silence will be observed here.

Just learned that my brothers ex was evacuated from Clifton Hill today. Her current husband runs Radar Records in the CBD....dont know if his shop is still standing. The florist I often use in Chch lost her house in the first shake and this time around shes lost her shop in Chancery Aracade.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:17 am

kiwigeo wrote: Her current husband runs Radar Records in the CBD....dont know if his shop is still standing.
Radar-Almost as Iconic as some of our heritage buildings! I'd say it's munted, Cashel Mall took a hell of a hiding. Hopefully they/he will be able to get it up & running again Martin, won't be from the central city I suspect though. They are thinking of setting up a new CBD elsewhere until they can rebuild the existing to be bigger & better. Jerry Brownlie is already advocating putting the wrecking ball through all of our old buildings. Would be a great shame to see them go as they are what identify Christchurch & set us apart from from many of the generic concrete & glass structured cities around the world. But I can also understand the thinking, it is many of these buildings that have made the death toll what it is :cry: Mind you, some of the newer buildings will have to have questions asked too! The Forsyth Barr building (which is less than ten years old) had it's stair well collapse leaving several people stranded further up the building...when the designed & intended last safe route of escape collapses & the rest of the building is still reasonably ok, you have to scratch your head. But greater experts than me will no doubt be looking at things like that in the future, for now we get on with things. Good to see we haven't lost our thirst! A news piece on the tele last night was being filmed with a bottle store as a background, they must have been selling off either damaged stock or just selling booze cheap, as people could be seen carting shopping trolley loads away from the place! I suppose if we can't drink the water without boiling it we may as well be drinking beer, that's safe! :wink:

Thanks Richard & Martin (& anybody else that will be!) for wearing your Red & Black, it's quite touching to know that people all over the world are thinking of us & even though I'm only one I thank you on behalf of all Cantabs, it is very much appreciated.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Red and black all this week.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 am

Lillian wrote:Red and black all this week.
Thanks Lillian :D :D :D
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 am

Nick wrote:
Lillian wrote:Red and black all this week.
Thanks Lillian :D :D :D
Yeah thanks from me too..... :D
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Got raised eyebrows today. I figure people will ask tomorrow why the same colors since Monday. It will raise awareness if nothing else.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Lillian wrote:Got raised eyebrows today. I figure people will ask tomorrow why the same colors since Monday. It will raise awareness if nothing else.
So what exactly are you wearing???
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks a lot Martin, thats 1.5 hours of my life I wont see again.....................there are some comic gems in there.

Wonder if someone could resaw it into purfling strips or something??

Cheers
Richard

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Lillian wrote:Got raised eyebrows today. I figure people will ask tomorrow why the same colors since Monday. It will raise awareness if nothing else.
:lol: Martin do you want to know the whole ensemble?

Monday Black jeans and a red and black shirt

Tuesday Black twill cargo pants and a long sleeve red shirt with a black fleece vest.

This morning I had to delve into Fran's closet for another red shirt. Black pants and the black vest.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Lillian wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:
..... with a black fleece vest.

Piss off Nick..I saw her first!!!
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 pm

:lmao

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Piss off Nick..I saw her first!!!
:cry:
"Jesus Loves You."

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Ah Nick, no need for that. Think of it this way, you're safe. You don't have to fight Fran for me. She fights like a girl, she cheats.
She cries. Its not pretty. You'll have to trust me.

Martin dear, she asked if I knew when you would be back home. Think she wants a chat with you. :shock:

And to the powers that be, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BIG HUG EMOTICON????

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Lillian wrote:
Martin dear, she asked if I knew when you would be back home. Think she wants a chat with you. :shock:
Oh shit.....

Um I'm home right now but right now I'm busy packing my bags and grabbing the next flight out of Adelaide :shock:
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Nick,

I'm flying into Chch midday Sat 26/3 and leaving again Tuesday 29/3. Sorry I cant stay longer but Ive had to add in a stop over in Auckland so I can visit my Dad. I'll be in contact with you once I get on the ground and if youre not too busy we can catch up.

Cheers Martin
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:03 am

Have a safe trip Martin.

Nick, keep us posted on what's happening in your corner of the world. And please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with the recovery process.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Lillian wrote:Have a safe trip Martin.

Nick, keep us posted on what's happening in your corner of the world. And please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with the recovery process.
Thanks Lillian & the world is doing a sterling job as far as I'm concerned. It's doing alot for the morale of the majority, just knowing that the world is thinking of us & that people such as yourself are concerned.
As far as updates go we are officially out of rescue phase & into the recovery phase i.e picking bodies out of the rubble :cry: One good point was that they suspected there to be up to 20 bodies buried in the rubble from the collapsed spire of our iconic cathedral as they had had conflicting eye witness accounts of people still in the cathedral when hell broke loose. They have since pulled down(carefully) one complete side of the tower to gain access to the rubble & have found that there are no bodies in the wreckage so everybody managed to get out safely on the day :D As a consequence the predicted death toll has dropped somewhat.
There are parts of Christchurch still without power & water & up until yesterday, no portaloos so understandably the natives are kicking up abit. So much focus has been placed on the CBD that the poor easterners are being neglected somewhat. It was over a week before they were even visited by anybody "official" & told what was going on.

Martin, feel free to ring me on my cell, looks like I won't be at work anytime soon so a catch-up would be great & achievable. :D
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Lillian wrote:

And to the powers that be, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BIG HUG EMOTICON????
We had to remove it.....it was being over used. Heres the next best thing....the moo-tiful emoticon.

:moo
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't like that cow...could be my failing eyes but it looks like it is standing up to pee and then waving at me with it's free hand...Like we really need another animated extrovert bullshit artist around here. :roll:

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 am

Kim wrote:I don't like that cow...could be my failing eyes but it looks like it is standing up to pee and then waving at me with it's free hand...Like we really need another animated extrovert bullshit artist around here. :roll:

Cheers

Kim
Damn Kim I have tea on my keyboard now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi folks,

I've Been away from the forum, due to a heavy workload, surgery and the Chch Quake too.
as a Cantab 32 of my 35 yrs it breaks my heart to see my home town on its knees, many streets are almost unrecognisable to me, not sure if anyone saw the footage inside the Cathedral ,but I built those 450 chairs in the Cathedral all from heart rimu recycled from the old big red brick train station on moorhouse ave ,was quite a special job, they simply have to rebuild the Cathedral, Christchurch isn't Christchurch without it.

My family got through it ok ,but my mums house in Burwood is trashed so have had to relocate her up here for now.
have heard some amazing tales of survival from friends especially from one who was in the Pyne Gould building
I'm kinda glad to be up here in the sunny Bay of Islands away from all the drama, but also incredibly sad i can't be down there to help out right now.
Glad to hear our resident CHCH forumers are doing ok, If theres anything I can help you guys with ,only to happy to.
Hope your dad gets better soon Martin.

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com