pandora.com

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

pandora.com

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 pm

I've been aware of pandora.com internet radio for a while but listening to it at the Zootman's while I was in the States made me more determined to try and access it from Australia.

The way it works is you select a song or an artist or a genre of music and pandora will stream music at you that is similar. So you get to hear a lot of artists that you may not have heard of. You can customise it by giving songs the thumbs up or down so it learns what you like.

You can also buy MP3's if you like the song that much.

Because of copyright and royalty problems it blocks any connections outside of the States.

Enter "Hide my IP 2008" a nifty piece of software that gives you an IP address that makes it appear as if you are in the US.

You need to enter a US Zip code when you sign up but after that Bob's yer uncle.

I started off selecting The Eagles, Poco and The Amazing Rythm Aces as seeds to start the station off so it's throwing a fair bit of Country tinged music at the moment.

You can have multiple stations with a variety of musical styles to suit every mood.

And if you like the music enough there are direct download links where you can buy MP3's from Amazon etc.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 pm

I'll second what bob said about Pandora.

When we were there in February a number of us asked Uncle Bob what we were listening too because it kept this great mix going, blues at that time including Hendrix. Uncle Bob told us about Pandora and how it works.

Thanks for reminding me Bob, as soon as I get the sound system in the new shop I have to set up Pandora for me.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Fran listens to it at work. She loves it, especially if she gets to it before da Boss does. She has found some really great music that way.