36 miners missing at Pike River Coalmine in NZ

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

36 miners missing at Pike River Coalmine in NZ

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:03 pm

This is not good.....an explosion at the Pike River Coal Mine on the west coast of New Zealand. 36 tags still on the board outside the mine entrance. News reports of charred trees outside the mine entrance and a hut blown away by the blast. Reports of one loader driver recovered...he was blown off his machine.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Re: 36 miners missing at Pike River Coalmine in NZ

Post by Kim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Hmmm, just heard on the radio that the charred trees from the explosion extend up to 2K's past the mine...not good at all. Fingers crossed for an Argintine type miricle but this does not look good at all. :(

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:35 pm

I make and Repair Equipment for Pike River , I have some of their Equipment in our workshop at the Moment , I hope all the Guy's are OK .
Paul .

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:28 am

I know we have to be optimistic but I'm looking at the emerging details of this disaster and it doesn't look good. Looks like it was a hell of an explosion. The mine is relatively new and there wouldn't be alot of worked out chambers to provide refuge for survivors of the initial explosion. Power is out so there is no ventilation system operating.

Lets hope I'm wrong and these guys get out.
Martin

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:03 am

we're not getting alot of info on the tele here. The reporter keeps saying that they are pumping oxygen into the mine. sounds dubious. I should think they'd be pumping air down. She's probably not smart enough to understand the dangers of adding oxygen to a potentially explosive environment.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:08 pm

liam_fnq wrote:we're not getting alot of info on the tele here. The reporter keeps saying that they are pumping oxygen into the mine. sounds dubious. I should think they'd be pumping air down. She's probably not smart enough to understand the dangers of adding oxygen to a potentially explosive environment.
Think they're talking about a pre-existing air line and there's a hope that the miners may be grouped near outlet of same. Last report I heard here in Christchurch on local radio was that they were testing air in the ventilation shaft and drive and a team could be going in shortly.

Missing miners now numbered at 29. A couple of Aussies and British passport carrying miners involved as well as kiwis.
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:04 am

I don't know the blast details, but I'm hoping that the brunt of the blast took the path of least resistance - out the tunnel - and that all the miners were to the inside of the blast. I know the outcome doesn't look good, but I can hope.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 am

Dennis,

The mine is basically a circa 2km drive which runs on an upward gradient to the target (Brunner Coal Measures). The mine is new so there aren't alot of workings at the end of the access drive so not alot of opportunity to hide from the blast. The blast would have come without any warning so chances of survival IMO are very low.

News this morning is that theres a fire burning underground which is producing toxic gases......its looking even worse now.

Cheers Martin
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Somewhere else, and another time (seriously), I'll wonder out loud about NZ geology. I thought NZ was all volcanic origin, but for a coal deposit, it has to have had more than just volcanic history. Again, a topic for another day...

If the miners are dead, then I guess all I can say is I hope they didn't suffer.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:53 pm

The news doesn't get any better. A second blast ripped through the Pike River Mine this afternoon and all hope of a rescue has pretty much expired. The operation is now a recovery operation...if they can ever get back into the mine.

A sad day for New Zealand....we've had too many of them of late.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

A terrible tragedy indeed, poor NZ has had a hiding of late and our nations heart goes out to our brothers and sisters of the long white.

Peace to those who waited in vein.

Kim

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:54 pm

You said it Kim, RIP and to the families and friends deepest condolences.
make mine fifths........

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:27 am

Coasters are a resilient bunch who will soon be back up & getting on with life, I'm sure, but for now all NZers hearts are with their coaster "mates" & feeling for them, especially the 17 year old's parents for whom it was his first day on his first ever job......
Lets not forget the overseas workers also lost, including two Aussies. :cry:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:51 pm

A third explosion today..almost a week to the minute since the first blast.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 pm

And a fourth explosion.....this one erupted up the ventilation shaft (see pic) and leaves one in no doubt theres a fire burning in the mine. If its loose coal burning then its extinguishable..if the coal seam is burning then chances of getting the miners out look grim.
Attachments
4403612.jpg
4403612.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 12382 times
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Good photo there Martin. TV3 news claimed to have 'exclusive' shots of the mine fire, all we got was some rather jerky footage taken from a circling chopper of some orange stuff coming out the vent. Not that everybody needs to see it but certainly brings it home to the (so far) 'armchair critics' as to why rescuers haven't been in a rush to recover the bodies! I think they are going to try the GAG engine at some stage soon but will need to 'cork' this vent & the test bore before firing it up, hopefully it is loose coal burning in which case the GAG should extinguish it & make a mine entry possible. If it's the seam then unfortunately nothing will be recovered. There's been a lot of promises made to the relatives that shouldn't have, I believe, without knowing exactly whether they can be fulfilled or not as everything is still very much in a fluid state & conditions seem to change without warning, hardly fair on those people already grieving.
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm

The smoke in that photo indicates coal burning rather than methane. The fan unit looks like its either been moved off the vent or it may have been blown off by the explosion.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 am

kiwigeo wrote:The smoke in that photo indicates coal burning rather than methane. The fan unit looks like its either been moved off the vent or it may have been blown off by the explosion.
Shifted by the explosion from all the reports coming from the media but of course they are using more 'spectacular' language. Bloody media (mostly TV) are loving this, the emotive & dramatic words are flowing like water.
"Jesus Loves You."