Paypal and Wikileaks

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Paypal and Wikileaks

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47 am

I was really pissed off with Paypal for withdrawing the Wikileaks account so I emailed them and told them so.

I thought some of you may be interested to see their reply. (I was surprised to have got one)
I was even more surprised that they pointed me in the direction of where I could still donate.
Dear Bob Connor,

Thank you for contacting PayPal in regards to your email.

For security reasons we cannot discuss any details of a PayPal account with a third party. The status of a PayPal account can only be discussed with the account holder to ensure that sensitive account information is not disclosed. For more information regarding WikiLeaks donations, we advise you to contact the organization called Wau Holland used to raise funds for WikiLeaks.

Sincerely,
Shane
PayPal, an eBay Company
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Re: Paypal and Wikileaks

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:41 pm

Im surprised you got one as well. Lets them know what you think and they may be toting lost transaction fees.

A question for the yanks. Is donating to Wikileaks through a US based company going to be treated as a donation to a terrorist organisation? Or is there a process that is needed to declare Wikileaks a terrorist org. I know Sarah would have assasinated him by now.
Attachments
wookieleaks-400x299.jpg
wookieleaks-400x299.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 13006 times
make mine fifths........

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:Im surprised you got one as well. Lets them know what you think and they may be toting lost transaction fees.

A question for the yanks. Is donating to Wikileaks through a US based company going to be treated as a donation to a terrorist organisation? Or is there a process that is needed to declare Wikileaks a terrorist org. I know Sarah would have assasinated him by now.
It seems that over here no one knows quite what to do. I've heard that posting about wikileaks on your facebook might not get you into a cush job with some companies and universities. I doubt they would ever come out and say that was the reason tho. Good for you Bob on speaking your mind with PayPal. I'd bet Mr. Assange may be able to sue visa and the others when it's all said and done. As for the dingy person from up north best not get me started on her....
John
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

PayPal sucks even without the Wikileaks fisaco......I only use them if I have to.
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:38 pm

At this point, I'd say the US government is "rattling sabers", so Wikileaks has not been declared a terrorist organization - yet.

Not sure how much of US news gets out and how it is spun, but remember that awesome guy we elected 2 years ago to stop all the bullshit that Bush and Cheney were doing in the world...? Well, it ain't working out so good. In fact, many see Obama as worse than Bush, because Obama's actions are the same or worse, but he's articulate and uses excellent 'crowd control' psychology to get many people to wait and wait and wait...and wait for him to do something positive. We we stunned and outraged (as citizens) when BushCheney jammed through legislation (the 'Patriot Act') taking away most (and I do mean most) of our constitutionally guaranteed civil liberties. The campaign of frightening people with the "terrorist under the bed" never ended - it intensified! Obama got Congress to renew the patriot act, then signed an 'Executive Order' allowing himself to declare anyone in the world a terrorist, including American citizens, including American citizens on foreign soil - and to order their assassination. Judge/jury/(order the) executioner.

There were three raids a few months ago (Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago), raiding anti-war activists homes. It was no accident that raids were conducted in three regions and the message was loud and clear: anyone who speaks up about crimes the US government is committing or has committed is a potential terrorist. I'm wondering if the prison has a wood shop.

But, I digress...

Wikileaks will be declared a terrorist organization if they can figure out how to do it while at the same time not implicate the New York Times - which has not only partnered with Wikileaks to do some of the redacting, and has published the new leaks, but the Times also has the distinction of being the newspaper that published the (top secret, stolen) 'Pentagon Papers' back when Nixon was president, so it may be a bit tricky. However, I think they'll figure out how to word the indictment, as the US has approximately 30,000,000 attorneys and less than .00001% of them have any scruples.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey Dennis,

Could Obama's inaction be due to the fact that he never did have the numbers?? I don't follow too close but from what I picked up over here, it seemed that Obama wanted proper health reform tabling sweeping changes that would really make a difference and weaken the grip the insurers have on the system. But by the time the flesh had been cutaway enough for the old money of the right to allow the bill to pass, it was no more than skin and bone and resembled nothing more than another broken promise....seems a familiar story all over the world, margins too narrow to effectively govern with any real agenda. The moment a stand is taken to form one, it is immediately ceased upon for no other reason than an opposition not wanting to allow the other side to look affective and win support.....no thought at all about what policy may be good for the country cause all the major parties now seem to have agendas which focus on what is good for big business.....As for Wikileaks..well the pollies from 'all' sides are pissed right off because what most people already knew about them, is now being confirmed for those who only suspected it, and their biggest issue right now would be trying to recall what they said to whom, and when. They have so much past deception to hide it would be impossible for them to shape it into spin because they don't know whats coming next.

The only option for them now is to do what it takes to stop the rot....hence then trying to choke off the finances. But the silly bugger can't put the genie back in the bottle because the information super highway does not have any traffic lights to control.......This story will be interesting to watch develop, Russia is stirring the pot saying Assunge should be looked at for nomination to Nobel laureate....the Swedes want to lock him up on some dicey looking sexual assault charges that even their own prosecution team had, until pressure was bought to bare some months later, decided had no foundation ..the yanks government want to find ways to change laws so they can execute him as a terrorist!! and the Australian government wants to disown him just as they did David Hicks because in this country no one gets to play unless its for team USA....more power to Wickileaks I say, Assange should not be held responsible for the US governments failure to secure their own diplomatic communication lines...DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!

Funny how the main attack used against Wickileaks to this point has been from an angle suggesting that these leaks are putting the lives of our brave troops at risk, yet the reality is that the only lives at risk so far have been political. :wink:

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Perhaps China will take up the reigns and nominate Julian for a Nobel Peace Prize....or just give him one of there new Confucius Peace Prizes. :D

And anyone that gets politicians knickers in a knot that tight has got to be on track don't you think? I would dearly love Rupert Murdoch's media empire start to publish some of this material. One wonders if the Aussie politicians would be so quick to call it a criminal act and brand him a criminal and a terrorist......I think not.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Mmmmm.........I wonder what sort of secrets lie hidden within the ANZLF's Moderators Forum? What exactly do the moderators talk about......???????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:53 am

kiwigeo wrote:Mmmmm.........I wonder what sort of secrets lie hidden within the ANZLF's Moderators Forum? What exactly do the moderators talk about......???????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Go to http://www.ANZLF-Leaks.org and the whole world will find out!

A sample:

Martin: "Kim, having a bad hair day?"

Kim: "You bastard! One more word about my hair and there will be a bucket of termites in your shed!"

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:17 am

Kim wrote:Hey Dennis,

Could Obama's inaction be due to the fact that he never did have the numbers?? I don't follow too close but from what I picked up over here, it seemed that Obama wanted proper health reform tabling sweeping changes that would really make a difference and weaken the grip the insurers have on the system.

...seems a familiar story all over the world, margins too narrow to effectively govern with any real agenda. The moment a stand is taken to form one, it is immediately ceased upon for no other reason than an opposition not wanting to allow the other side to look affective and win support.....no thought at all about what policy may be good for the country cause all the major parties now seem to have agendas which focus on what is good for big business.

Cheers

Kim
Hi Kim,

(hope you don't mind me dissecting your reply and highlighting sections)

Obama is a flat-out liar, a conniving manipulator. He is completely in-bed with corporate interests, and banksters, and militarists. (I know, I know - that's "par for the course" or "part of the job description" for politicians, and especially a US president, but this guy is finding new depths.)

After 8 years of Bush, in the US 2008 presidential election, many US citizens felt that a rabid dingo (my attempt to put it in Aussie terms :lol: ) would have been a better choice than the overt war-hawk McCain and his daffy-yet-malevolent sidekick in a skirt. Who would have guessed that after something like 20 days in office, Obama would order covert drone bombings in Pakistan! That is, remote-controlled killing of people targeted from thousands of feet in the air, as "suspected militants." (I believe those were the actual words used.) The US now is bombing in Pakistan, Yemen, Sudan, while still waging war in Afghanistan after 9 years (when the initial "reason" was to kill bin Laden and maybe a few hundred Taliban.) The US, with the help of soldiers and money from loyal US friend/countries with big hearts like Australia, have killed over one million Iraqi people (and there, as the world knows, we went in to eliminate Saddam Hussein and seize his WMDs.) Seems we may have gotten a bit frustrated when looking under Iraqi beds and in Iraqi closets for said weapons, and decided to kill anyone that dared protest or sneeze or walk down the street. The US has something like 700 military bases around the world, and now there are permanent military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq. Oh, wait a minute, the "war" in Iraq is over, and now we simply have "advisers" (with tanks and machine guns) there to "assist" the Iraqi citizens. We are actually there to protect the CIA interest in opium, to protect *strategic* natural gas and oil fields and pipelines, and mineral wealth, and to plant our imperialist asses permanently in more of the Middle East - partially as staging areas for the next half dozen wars we will be "compelled to fight - in order to make the world a safe place." McCain was an overt war-hawk; Obama covert - and probably worse.

Interesting that you picked the Universal Health Care issue, because it was an issue where the spin was pure lies. It was shown that the majority party did have the votes, and the will to include "single payer" as an option. It was revealed (New York Times reporter printed the story), that Obama met with health insurance industry bigwigs months prior to the vote in Congress, and guaranteed them there would be no 'single payer' option on the table or in the vote. He made good on his promise, and went one better: Congress allowed the insurance company lobbyists to write the bill that was voted in! The Democrats in Congress put a feather in their cap, saying "we got health reform!", and in reality, the insurance companies got stronger rather than being phased out of their parasitic existence. The Orwellian title of the health car bill was "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" but in reality should have been, "The Health Insurance Industry Subservience Act."

Obama (and the voting majority of his party, the Democrats) may have done the US a big favor, inadvertently: millions of us now see beyond the shadow of a doubt that the only two parties 'allowed' to hold office here are actually factions of the same corrupt party - The Oligarchs Minions Party. And, there is a surge away from the Democratic party like never before, hopefully enough to be formidable enough to have a chance to remove these corporate-owned overlords from power.

Make no mistake, the oligarchs that own the US and much of the world do not care one bit about me or you. We are grit in the gravel on their road to even further world domination. They control the media, they buy the politicians and legislators, and sometimes allow the pretense that there are opposing views that do not quite have enough votes to become law. This is part of the circus to keep us 'hoping' and not rioting.

When the international (or extra-national) banking cartel finishes off the US dollar, probably very soon, I hope my friends around the world will not be hurt too badly - though I fear you will, because the US banking industry has such a global footprint. I'm telling friends in the US to buy some silver coins (because the paper dollar will be toilet paper) and stock up on food. it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 am

Wikileaks will be declared a terrorist organization if they can figure out how to do it while at the same time not implicate the New York Times - which has not only partnered with Wikileaks to do some of the redacting, and has published the new leaks, but the Times also has the distinction of being the newspaper that published the (top secret, stolen) 'Pentagon Papers' back when Nixon was president, so it may be a bit tricky.
The missing piece for me. Curiously the coverage here has mainly been about private conversations several pollies have been having with US embassy staff and is frankly unsurprising. Our Govt responded pretty much as the last one would have, so nothing has changed here either. The most encouraging item I saw was the right wing harpy Miranda Devine coming out for Assange in Thursday's papers. Defending the right of the press to publish what it wants.
make mine fifths........

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:26 am

The Obama administration wouldn't know how to win something if it bit them on the ass. Oh wait, it did and they still dropped the ball.

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:
Wikileaks will be declared a terrorist organization if they can figure out how to do it while at the same time not implicate the New York Times - which has not only partnered with Wikileaks to do some of the redacting, and has published the new leaks, but the Times also has the distinction of being the newspaper that published the (top secret, stolen) 'Pentagon Papers' back when Nixon was president, so it may be a bit tricky.
The missing piece for me. Curiously the coverage here has mainly been about private conversations several pollies have been having with US embassy staff and is frankly unsurprising. Our Govt responded pretty much as the last one would have, so nothing has changed here either. The most encouraging item I saw was the right wing harpy Miranda Devine coming out for Assange in Thursday's papers. Defending the right of the press to publish what it wants.

We had a guy in the Senate speak for over 8 hours today trying to get his point across.
He a good point about WikiLeaks. To his knowledge no one has died from their release as compared to false info regarding WMDs in Iraq.
Yeah most of the stuff I've read has been pretty petty catty social type comments. No surprise.
TG I can get back to making large pieces of wood smaller soon.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Another damn Yank!