Pictures to brighten up our Northern Friends Winter.

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Pictures to brighten up our Northern Friends Winter.

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:30 am

Seeings as a bunch of you are huddled inside trying to stay warm, or worse yet, shoveling snow in the driveway, I thought I would add some color to your dark gray days. All these pictures were taken from the balcony of our unit in Batemans Bay NSW.

Sulfur crested Cockatoo

Corella

Crimson Rosella

Kookaburra

Male King Parrot, the female is mostly green, just a little orange on her head.

Koala

lorakeets

Hope that brightens up your day.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 am

Thankis Allen, what a change of landscape! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Yah, a long way from Edmonton were I was born, and had to go and visit rellies every Christmas until I was old enough to say "NO BLOODY WAY"! The last time I was in Edmonton it was -48 C.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Thank you, Allen! It hit its mark.

This morning, it was -9°F on the thermometer here; -20°F with the wind chill. Not many lorakeets flying around! (Talk about dead parrots!)

My daughter has been telling everyone she knows that it is summer in Australia, and wouldn't it be great to be there...

Why, yes, it would!

Dennis
(Are Americans the only retarded people left on the planet that still use Fahrenheit?)
Another damn Yank!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:Thank you, Allen! It hit its mark.

This morning, it was -9°F on the thermometer here; -20°F with the wind chill. Not many lorakeets flying around! (Talk about dead parrots!)

My daughter has been telling everyone she knows that it is summer in Australia, and wouldn't it be great to be there...

Why, yes, it would!

Dennis
(Are Americans the only retarded people left on the planet that still use Fahrenheit?)
I think so Denis. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember Fahrenheit and Imperial measure is still mostly how I think in distances more that 3mm and less than a kilometer. I just can't for the life of me have a mental image of what 1219.2mm X 2438.4 mm...turns out to be a 4X8 sheet of plywood. :lol:

You can tell your daughter that its a beautiful 32 C here today...or is that 89.6 F. Might even get a shower or two. And if that doesn't get you longing for some warm weather, the cold water that comes out of the faucet is 24 C. Yah, thats 75 F. :)
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:45 pm

Sitting on an oil rig in the Timor Sea.. about 500km north west of Darwin. Wet season up this way so air temp is about 32 degC and humidity is knocking 90%.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:02 am

Arrrrgh......... :lol:

Thanks Allen you bragger you..... :lol:

Look what I woke up to this morning:

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:54 am

Actually, both extremes look pretty good to me right now. I've got cabin fever here in central Arkansas. No snow, no green. :cry: Just rainy, gloomy, and about 35 F. Just uncomfortable and yukky for the past week with more of the same predicted. It has left me in a funk. I'm between builds and can't get up enough "want to" to go out and heat up the shop. I think I'll just watch "Veggie Tales Christmas" videos.

Ron

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Allen,
It looks like you live in the Garden of Eden, nice pics!
Looks like paradise to me.
And if it gets to hot, heres a pic for you.

Tom

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:12 pm

That's lookin' mighty refreshing Tom. I just can't get my head around Christmas without at least some cold wet weather.

And there ain't no way the wife is cookin up a a roast dinner when its well over 30. Might just have to have several beers and watch some cricket. There's nothing like watching cricket to make you want to drink more beer.........wait for it....wait for it.....the true Assies are going to pipe up any minute :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Arrrrgh...... we now have over a foot of white crap on the ground here. These pictures were out my shop window half way through the storm.......

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 am

WELL, WE'VE JUST RECEIVED SOME 40 CM OF THE WHITE STUFF HERE, MY CAMERA MUST BE HIDING IN A SNOWBANK SOMEWHERE! HEY JOE, YA SEEN MY CAMERA? :lol:
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 am

And there ain't no way the wife is cookin up a a roast dinner when its well over 30
Allen, there's always the dutch oven in the BBQ! :cl Very Tasty!!!

As I understand it, every Aussie, by law, must be in personal possesion of a bar-bee at all times!! :lol: (and beer, not necessarily in that order :D )

It's the law! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's nothing like watching cricket to make you want to drink more beer.........wait for it....wait for it.....the true Assies are going to pipe up any minute
Well! I'm probably a true Aussie at heart! There's nothing like drinking beer to make you want to watch more cricket! TA DAAAA ! :lol: :lol:

Hesh Buddy! I don't want to sound unsympathetic but that looks kind of cool to a California boy! Think positive, you can unplug your frig for a few months and save on all that electricity! :lol:

You have cool birds in Oz!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 am

Tom Morici wrote:Allen,
It looks like you live in the Garden of Eden, nice pics!
Looks like paradise to me.
And if it gets to hot, heres a pic for you.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Can you send one of them streams down here, looks like a good place for a bloke to keep his beer while he is watching the cricket :D

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Yah Billy, havin a barbie and a beer was on our citizenship test. They take that very seriously down here.:)

And Hesh, when I lived in Central BC for a winter, we had to keep the beer in the fridge instead of out on the porch to stop it from freezing. I feel for you M8, that's part of the reason this snow bird moved south. :lol:

I guess I'll just have to be dreaming of a white Christmas.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Kim,
Mountain creeks like this stay cold year long, in the heat of summer this water is cold, 42 F.
You would be surprised how many nice cold beers a guy can find stuck in snags. Secure them well mates, or your neighbor is getting a free one.
Theres golden beer in them there creeks. :D

Tom

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:44 am

Wow! That's awesome Allen. Beautiful and vivid colors M8! You're very lucky indeed!

Tom, awesome picture and even better anecdote!

Here's what going on about 50 Km's (that's about 30 Miles) East of Ottawa.

You see that right folks. We have about 3 ft (almost 1 Metre) of the white stuff on the ground! (The shed itself is on a 10 inch bed or stone) I sure miss my ski-doo!
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am

Hi folks,

One of our traditional indicators is if the home gardener can get ripe tomatoes off before XMAS, well this year we got them off for 1st December. Sorry, no photos yet,

Sebastiaan