Floods down under

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Floods down under

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 am

I was in Brisbane a couple of months ago & it's hard to equate what I'm seeing on news footage currently with what I saw two months ago. I think the thing that seems to be doing the most damage (Flooding/water damage is bad enough!) is the speed & amount of water that is flowing. Sad time for Queensland :cry:, I just hope many of the missing turn up wet but well.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

John Steele
Blackwood

Post by John Steele » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 am

Sounds and looks like a major disaster there.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/1 ... 07997.html

"We're having a bit of a barbecue because we've got no electricity," said Bob Vilgan, an 80-something dressed like most of the neighbors in shorts, a T-shirt and sandals. "The idea is to get everyone fed who is in with our crowd, have a few tiny tipples and get back home."

You don't see grit like that too much these days.

Hopefully the water will start to recede soon, real soon. Best thoughts for all impacted.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
George Bernard Shaw

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am

Just received a text from my parents. They live just up from the Sydney St Ferry Terminal in New Farm, about 1.5km downriver from Brisbane CBD.

Text says...
Walkway gone forever, our ferry terminal gone, park & shops flooded. No power. No water.
When battery flat no phone. Were ok.

Turned on tv and saw pictures of a huge section of the floating walkway (300T) being guided downriver by a tugboat after breaking free.
Was walking on that 2 weeks ago with my kids!
The ferry terminal mentioned is a large structure for handling peak hour commuting. Probably beached at Moreton island by now!
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am

Sh*t it's just started pouring down here in Adelaide.
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Unbelievable. My heart goes out to all affected by the flooding and the devastation it has caused.

And I see more (minor?) cyclones or tropical depressions around Oz. One source said the one on the northwest coast is headed southeast. Isn't that backwards of typical?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Now Ive heard it all....Brisbane police have received complaints from members of the public about the noise of the army choppers involved in flood rescue and support operations.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:
And I see more (minor?) cyclones or tropical depressions around Oz. One source said the one on the northwest coast is headed southeast. Isn't that backwards of typical?

Dennis
Dennis, the cyclones either track down the east or west side of the country. The one currently off the coast of WA will eventually turn inland and peter out into a depression. Its likely that it will feed a bit of moisture down into South Australia.

The cyclone in question is currently delaying my return to work. The rig Im currently assigned to is currently demanned and riding out the weather.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Now Ive heard it all....Brisbane police have received complaints from members of the public about the noise of the army choppers involved in flood rescue and support operations.
To quote Graham Chapman (as Brian) in the film Life of Brian..."There's no pleasing some people!"

Incredible ain't it, the human condition I'm afraid there is no cure. I suppose they (the complaints) were from people that hadn't been affected & had no comprehension of what was actually happening to those that had. Yet if it was them they would be the first to be screaming to be helped :evil:
"Jesus Loves You."

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Yeah, but the truth is that no one knows the truth. You get this sort of bullshit every time you have a disaster. First of all who made the report to media about these allegedly uncaring bastards?..A = probably the media. If the story is true, how many complaints have the police received?? A= Probably one. 'If' there was actually a complaint, who was the 'cold hearted', self serving, SOB who made it? A = Probably the medical director of a maternity wing who was not actually complaining, but simply requesting if the much needed choppers could be redirected from the flight path to the main hospital which is currently taking them right over the roof of the main delivery room....remember folks, we are dealing with the media here and they will do anything to server you up a bullshit pie....if you want to eat it, that's your choice.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 am

Kim wrote: First of all who made the report to media about these allegedly uncaring bastards?..A = probably the media. If the story is true, how many complaints have the police received??
Since my information came from a Qsld police message that ran as a caption across the bottom of the TV screen during Channel 10's afternoon extended news coverage of the floods one would assume the information came from Qsld Police. I've seen Channel 9 do some underhand things to drum up viewers but I don't think Channel 10 would fake a message from the police.....even the dumbest producer could see such an action back firing badly on the TV station.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Okay it's time to help out our brothers and sisters in Queensland. I'm too far away to muck in with a bucket and mop so the next best thing I can do is to do without my next tonewood order and divert the loot to a much better cause.

Here's the website for The Premiers Flood Relief Fund: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Hopefully a few others of you will be able to spare a few dollars as well and help out.

Cheers Martin
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 pm

I've just received a donation from one of our American members which I'll pass on to the Premiers Relief Fund first thing monday.

A big hearty thanks from me on behalf of Queenslanders hit by the recent floods.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 am

kiwigeo wrote:I've just received a donation from one of our American members
Now 'that' is a very nice thing to do Mr USA...thanks whoever you are. :cl :cl :cl

My in-laws are in QLD and like many banana benders, they would never, ever, ask. But that doesn't diminish the gratitude and lift of spirit they feel when they look up from the mud and see a smiling face and helping hand of friendship extended their way.

Onya mate :wink:

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 am

It hits home when I see fair dinkum true blue ockers on tele choking up about not being able to save people floating by. I know how hard you Aussies are & the spirit you approach life with so it really says something when you see a bearded, tattooed guy getting emotional on national tele. My partner was saying last night (& I'm of the same mind) that if she had the money she'd be on the first plane over & pitching in with the shovels & brooms, it just breaks our hearts to see our neighbours like this, just hoping for a quick-ish recovery. I see parts of Victoria & NSW are copping it as well!
There's money going into the relief fund this side of the Tasman, cannot donate time but we can money.
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Nick wrote:It hits home when I see fair dinkum true blue ockers on tele choking up about not being able to save people floating by. I know how hard you Aussies are & the spirit you approach life with so it really says something when you see a bearded, tattooed guy getting emotional on national tele. My partner was saying last night (& I'm of the same mind) that if she had the money she'd be on the first plane over & pitching in with the shovels & brooms, it just breaks our hearts to see our neighbours like this, just hoping for a quick-ish recovery. I see parts of Victoria & NSW are copping it as well!
There's money going into the relief fund this side of the Tasman, cannot donate time but we can money.
Nick the kiwis have sent in quite a few people.....I think there's a few search and rescue and recovery people on the ground.

I note that theyve given up trying to recover the miners from the Pike River Coal Mine. A sad end to a sad disaster.
Martin