Want to close shop and move to a guitar friendly state usa

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ernie
Myrtle

Want to close shop and move to a guitar friendly state usa

Post by ernie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 am

:D I would like to hear from other luthiers who have successfully relocated to a warmer ,more music/guitar friendly part of the usa. We have lived in st. louis and kansas city for 16 years, and feel it is time for us to make a geographical and cultural shift. Our children are grown and have left the nest. We/ve spent most of our lives 37 in canada, and the past 20 in usa.. We would love to hear how you made the transition. There is very little interest in handmade guitars here in kansas city. Cheers ernie

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Re: Want to close shop and move to a guitar friendly state u

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 am

Hi Ernie,

most luthiers in Australia drive Ferrari's and live in 18 bedroom mansions.... nah just kidding, most luthiers in Australia have real jobs and are therefore real luthiers. Good luck in your search. Have you tried the OLF or other luthier forums out there?
make mine fifths........

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:09 am

:D Love your humour, but what is acronym OLF stand for thanks ernie

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 am

OLF = Official Luthiers Forum

A very presumptuous name to be sure.

We relocated to Australia a little over 8 years ago now. And have been from top to bottom of this beautiful place. The climate is something you either love or hate, and sometimes both.

There aren't all that many here who would say that they are able to support their family solely on a luthiers income, at least to to the level that the miss's would accept. Good luck with your endeavour.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 am

:P Thanks allen will check OLF. Did you immigrate from the us, britain canada????. ernie

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 am

I'm an expat Canuck Ernie. Grew up in Powell River, just up the coast from Vancouver which I see is where you were for some time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am

:) eh ,we last lived in surrey bc in mar of 1990 11 km from douglas crossing, I have also lived in cranbrook, gibson/s landing spent 6 mo working on bc ferries and victoria, and vancouver. Travelled the whole province. Do you have any regrets?? personally, with 2 small kids, and both of us working full time, we just scraped by. My wife/s family lives in vancouver/victoria/saltspring. My family is in MTL. Nice to meet another expat ernie. Ps I signed in OLF and got e- mail confirmation, but could not log in after that, so sent the admin an e- mail. wanted to see video on grant goltz resawing

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:44 am

:) Allen thanks for the info on OLF . Signed up and got a number of replies. ernie