Cyclone in Darwin

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Cyclone in Darwin

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 pm

So I havent heard from Jim, dont expect to for a couple of days. Just a short note to say Im thinking of you and yours mate. Stay Safe.

For our OS colleagues, just a little blow happening up there, http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 140154.htm
make mine fifths........

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Cyclone in Darwin

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Cheers Sebastiaan, all is well so far, plenty of African mahoganies down but I'll be buggered if I am getting the chainsaw out in this weather, too cold (must be below 25 I think). They reckon it will hit a cat 2 tomorrow and cruise back along the coast so it will get windy here ( I hope they get it right cause I don't want anything worse than a 2), the ground is sodden (two trees went over next door but missed homes) and am getting a small stream running across the shed floor but nothing to worry about. The power has been out on and off but we get that this time of year anyway.

Jim

I love the tropics.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Good to hear Jim. I didnt know it was rated Cat 1, must be a recent development.

I look forward to the timber sale coming up.
make mine fifths........

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Stay safe Jimbo 8)

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Hunker down mate. Fingers crossed there'll be plenty of Mahogany to cut up after.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 pm

It got to a cat 1 and was predicted to head out to sea and build up but fortunately it turned around and is heading inland, it seems they will down grade it back to a low pressure system this arvo, it is always a bit scary when these things hang around but it looks pretty safe for now. Now if I can just manage to get my hands on the mahogany I have my eye on, it is in a council park so may be a bit tricky. I will keep my eye on it and turn up with a case of beer on the right day.

Jim
Jim Schofield

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:Now if I can just manage to get my hands on the mahogany I have my eye on, it is in a council park so may be a bit tricky. I will keep my eye on it and turn up with a case of beer on the right day.

Jim
Your talking council worker currency there Jim so you may just score it :wink: Get to them before they fire up the chainsaws though otherwise you might be left to pick over firewood sized chunks!
Stay Safe.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Glad your still afloat there Jim :lol: (pun intended)
Looked like there was plenty of bad flooding over the last 2 days.
Never been to Darwin, is there any high ground?
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Clancy wrote: Never been to Darwin, is there any high ground?
Standing on top of the bar. :dru :gui :dru

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Hmmm, I don't reckon anything counts as "high ground" up here, we don't really have any hills to speak of but at least my house is out of the "surge zone".

Spoke to the man at the council today he said I can have it all cause it will save them having to grind it all into mulch. I just have to now organise it with the blokes on the ground and looks like they won't get to the "non emergency" stuff for a week or so cause the ground is too boggy and they don't want to mess up the parks even more. They won't let me use a saw on it on their grounds so looks like I will have to cut it in the right spots with beer and maybe beer will get it dropped off at my place where I can use my saw.

It is a bit of a bummer though, some of the parks will be looking a bit bare for a few years :(

Jim
Jim Schofield

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I agree it's a bummer to see any big tree come down like that Jim, but at least you could make better use of it than mulch or firewood. 8)

Jeremy.