My Name is Paul and I have WAS (wood aquisition Syndrome)

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

My Name is Paul and I have WAS (wood aquisition Syndrome)

Post by ozwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:43 pm

It's been Six hours since my last Tonewood Purchase( 2X mahogany Necks , 2x QLD maple necks , 1 x large Lump of Kauri , 1x soundboard and 3 Bridge blanks) to go with all the other tonewwod I have accumulated, I figure at Max 3 guitars Per year , I have enough of everything ,(Exept fret boards) to last 10 years , But it's a Bit Like that Thing the Older blokes used to say to you ,the one you knock back's the one you never get, ( took me a long time to get that one) , I 'm like that with Tonewood, I know I have enough, I don't need any more , that money would buy some nice stuff from Stewmac, But I keep buying , I Don't drink much , Don't smoke or gamble so it's safe to say I don't have an addictive Personality , so what's the go with wood heroin ( tonewood ) any Idea's , do we have enough sufferers for a Support group? is Tim Just a Pusher getting Rich of our adiction? :lol:when will it Stop!!!!!!!! :dru :dru :dru :dru :dru :dru :dru
Last edited by ozwood on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul .

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: My Name is Paul and I have WAS (wood aquisition Syndrome

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm

That aint WAS...

THIS is WAS......(another pile of sides on bench out of picture)
Attachments
wood.jpg
Martin

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Bloody hell Kiwi ,

Your great, great , great Grandkids will still be going on that . your not even ashamed of your WAS it's out in the Open , on display for all , wife included to see.
your beyond redemption , but thanks for sharing, I feel so much better. Let me guess, Tim spittle Is your WAS sponsor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul .

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:18 pm

ozwood wrote:
Let me guess, Tim spittle Is your WAS sponsor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have several pimps...Tim is my main man but Shane Neiffer and Graham Hein also satisfy my cravings.
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 am

Martin, it looks like you have been scaling back. Everything okay? Did you get the underground vault built and are only showing the few bits you keep in the shop?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 am

Lillian wrote:Martin, it looks like you have been scaling back. Everything okay? Did you get the underground vault built and are only showing the few bits you keep in the shop?
Hi Lillian,

In the photo you cant quite see all the unopened parcels on the right hand shelf and the two boxes of Englemann that just arrived from Graham Hein.

The latest plan is to build a 3.2 x 2.5m garden shed so I can move some of the garden tools and machinery out of the garage and make more room for woodworking machinery.
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 am

G'day Paul,

I think you have your WAS condition under control. Like you I have been buying wood suitable for guitar building for the past five years. Ninety nine percent of it has come from our forum venders. I have enough to build twenty guitars and four weissenborn copies now and like you, it is time to stop but there is always another bargin to be had! Damn!!!

Where do you source your neck blanks from? Here I go again! :roll:

Cheers and enjoy your guitar building.

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

I like your taste in shelves Martin. I have two in the shop just like them. One of mine looks like your, the other one is getting there.

Do you use those narrow stickers from the get go, or do you use thicker ones when you first get the wood and add those after the wood has had a chance to stabilize a bit, eventually going to just stacking the wood to save space?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 am

Lillian wrote:I like your taste in shelves Martin. I have two in the shop just like them. One of mine looks like your, the other one is getting there.

Do you use those narrow stickers from the get go, or do you use thicker ones when you first get the wood and add those after the wood has had a chance to stabilize a bit, eventually going to just stacking the wood to save space?
There's a bit of a mix of stickers. When I first started out I thought a stack of 10 tops was all I was going to ever have so I used stickers cut from batten. After 6 months this was getting expensive so I switched to stickers cut from 3mm MDF.

The shelving is run of the mill made in China stuff I sourced from a local supplier in Adelaide. Not cheap but they were easy to assemble, they take a fair bit of weight and aren't prone to sagging.

Cheers Martin
Martin

morgan
Myrtle

Post by morgan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am

kiwigeo wrote:The latest plan is to build a 3.2 x 2.5m garden shed so I can move some of the garden tools and machinery out of the garage and make more room for woodworking machinery.
It looks like you could build that shed out of tonewood Martin, and still have enough left over to fill it. :D

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 am

morgan wrote:It looks like you could build that shed out of tonewood Martin, and still have enough left over to fill it. :D
Here's an artist's impression of Martin's new tonewood shed :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 am

Paul, I feel for you pain and confusion with these new desires.
Maybe one of the more experienced members will explain how it really is natural and healthy,
Just like being attracted to farmyard animals.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 am

Jeff, there will be no discussion of alternate uses for barnyard animals. If you feel so inclined, take it to PM with the sheep boys.

Now that that is taken care of. It is a natural inclination. Wood is a rapidly diminishing resource. We all know that the quality of wood is headed down hill as well. So we have the tendency to gather while the gathering is good. And there is always the inflation factor. You know that the value of your stash will only go up.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Now that that is taken care of. It is a natural inclination. Wood is a rapidly diminishing resource. We all know that the quality of wood is headed down hill as well. So we have the tendency to gather while the gathering is good. And there is always the inflation factor. You know that the value of your stash will only go up.
Thanks Mate , that must be it, well it's what I'm going to tell my wife and myself anyway, I feel much better. and Jeff Best I Visit you to show you my latest Build , we have already had Enough Problems with People Getting Amourous with livestock on this side of the Lake ( the Horse from West Wallsend and the man from Hillsborough and the Milk crate from Warners bay) so best you not put yourself in temptations way . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
Paul .