RIP Dutch Tilders

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Luke
Blackwood

RIP Dutch Tilders

Post by Luke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

The fine Aussie blues man and great finger style guitar player passed away Sat 23rd April after a battle with cancer.
I remember seeing Dutch one time in Sydney in the 80's I had never seen finger style playing before I had to leave early so I could go home and play my guitar it was so affecting.
That's my best memory of Dutch Tilders.
Cheers Luke

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: RIP Dutch Tilders

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Great player and a great bloke to boot who will be dearly missed by anyone who had any interest in Australian music and blues music in particular.

I had the opportunity to to sit with him for an evening and drink beer and play guitar about 15 years ago.

He was in Launceston to play at a festival and he and his band were staying at the pub that I managed. I had the audacity to pull out a guitar and play him "Good Morning Cigarette", one of his own compositions. Next thing his own guitar came out and we were into it.

I had learnt a lot of my fingerstyle playing from his recordings and it was unbelievable to sit and play his songs with him. He kept stopping me and correcting the riffs I'd been mis-playing for years and also taught me a few things that were unique to his own style of playing..

The beers kept flowing and so did the songs.

May he rest in peace.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 pm

One of the greats for sure and a sad loss indeed...ur a lucky man Bob to have sat and played with an Aussie legend.

Cheers

Kim

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:23 am

Remember seeing him in the early 70's, I had a few albums as well. Great player, RIP.

youtu.be/
make mine fifths........