Bass fails catastrophically at gig

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

morgan
Myrtle

Bass fails catastrophically at gig

Post by morgan » Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 am

I told him not to use Blu-Tack for the neck joint, but he insisted it would be great for easy removal if it ever needed a neck reset. :D

youtu.be/

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Bass fails catastrophically at gig

Post by Nick » Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 am

Whoops!
Hmmmm can't quite make out what's failed, the joint or the timber as I can't see any remnants of a dovetail/tenon on the neck...still not quite the place for a fail to happen :oops: (notice Bela Fleck standing next to him as well!) . :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu May 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Calling Mr Tucker...is Mr Tucker in the house??!!
Martin

nutsdan
Beefwood

Post by nutsdan » Fri May 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Makes transport easier
Dan

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri May 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Must have been part of the show :lol: - it broke apart just on the last note! (of course, the note before the instrument fails always will be the last note - well, I guess you know what I mean).
Nick wrote: Hmmmm can't quite make out what's failed, the joint or the timber as I can't see any remnants of a dovetail/tenon on the neck...still not quite the place for a fail to happen :oops:
Surely it's a butt joint held together with some rare earth magnets :idea: . If it was not part of the show now I have at least a nice building idea.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:Must have been part of the show :lol: - it broke apart just on the last note! (of course, the note before the instrument fails always will be the last note - well, I guess you know what I mean).
Nick wrote: Hmmmm can't quite make out what's failed, the joint or the timber as I can't see any remnants of a dovetail/tenon on the neck...still not quite the place for a fail to happen :oops:
Surely it's a butt joint held together with some rare earth magnets :idea: . If it was not part of the show now I have at least a nice building idea.

I can't see it being an issue on the bass, but would rare earth magnets interfere with pick ups on a guitar?

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Lillian wrote:I can't see it being an issue on the bass, but would rare earth magnets interfere with pick ups on a guitar?
A strong magnet in that place surely would magnetise steel strings But I don't know how it would affect pickup sensitivity etc. An electromagnet fed with AC certainly would be a sonorous disaster (very strong "partial" of 50Hz respectively 60Hz, depending on where you plugged the e-magnet in). :mrgreen:

And certainly you could destroy a microphone getting it close enough to such a magnetic neck joint. :roll:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat May 14, 2011 12:10 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
Lillian wrote:I can't see it being an issue on the bass, but would rare earth magnets interfere with pick ups on a guitar?
A strong magnet in that place surely would magnetise steel strings But I don't know how it would affect pickup sensitivity etc. An electromagnet fed with AC certainly would be a sonorous disaster (very strong "partial" of 50Hz respectively 60Hz, depending on where you plugged the e-magnet in). :mrgreen:

And certainly you could destroy a microphone getting it close enough to such a magnetic neck joint. :roll:

Hadn't thought about the mic. :shock:

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 am

nutsdan wrote:Makes transport easier
I was passing through an airport in the US about 18 months ago when I saw a guy carry the neck of a bass. I was intrigue so I went up and asked him - I though he might have been a luthier on the road. He was a musician and told me he had a bass with a removable neck for transport. He mentioned the brand or builder but I've forgotton and never though to look it up until I saw this. This name rings a bell: http://www.jauray.com but I am not sure.