Seen any good flics lately?

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alain
Myrtle

Seen any good flics lately?

Post by Alain » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 am

Okay, I'll admit I'm a complete movie snob. I usually hate anything from Hollywood as I find their movies are usually shallow and stupid. My tastes usually run towards international or indie films...

That being said, here's a short list of past and present movies I liked.

- The Bucket List
- The City of God (Brazil)
- Little Miss Sunshine
- Sideways
- Run Lola Run
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 am

Yeah I lean more toward shallow and stupid..... :D

I just watched Borat and went out and rented everything else the dude has done.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:45 am

I took the family to the Golden Compass. Interesting visual ideas and Nicole Kidman was excellent. Script etc was pretty ordinary.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Little miss sunshine is the only one on your list that I've seen, but "The Bucket List" is on my list. I mainly just watch anything by the Coen brothers.

Ron

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Alain,

You might be interested in our "Tropfest" film festival. All indie short films 10 - 15 minutes each. The finalists go onto a dvd that one of the Sydney sunday papers puts out. There's a different theme each year - usually something simple that has to be in the film, either a prop or a word, that makes sure the film was made for Tropfest, and hasn't been seen prior.

My wife and I look foward to the dvd coming out. Always means a great night in, with pizza, a bottle of wine or two, and 10 - 15 (usually) great short films.

If you're interested I can burn you a copy of the last couple of dvds.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

I usually hate anything from Hollywood as I find their movies are usually shallow and stupid.
Huhn??? Why would you say that! :D :lol:

There's a new "Speed Racer" movie coming out this summer!!! :lol:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm kinda "Film Noir" fan. I just love it when bad things happen, but its really twisted and funny. One of my all time favorites is "Four Rooms". It's almost impossible to find. Every time I ask around for it, the video shop will say "No, we had a copy, but somebody stole it" Usually followed up with, "If you can get a copy, please burn me one".
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 am

The City of God was really good, "The pianist" was a good one too.

But Hollywood, i mean, if you feel like you wanna stop thinking... :lol:
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 am

I was kinda hoping that a few good (and probably not widely publicized films) would be mentioned here. I too am mostly left empty after seeing "modern" films, though I keep renting them...

I enjoyed the (starving artist/turtured singer-songwriter) movie Once. Here's a song from the film: Glen Hansard/Marketa Irglova on David Letterman Show (note the multiple "soundholes", and keep that in mind the next left-brained dogmatic lecture you hear about Helmholtz frequency)

I love animation, and enjoyed Ratatouille a lot. The animation was superb. Jeanine Garofalo was outstanding in her vocalization of the part of a French chef.

Since the day I met my wife, 25 years ago, I have been faithful. Lucky for my marriage, I have not had the sensuous lips of the sexiest UN Ambassador of all time near mine, as I would probably...
...OK, so I'm one of the many under the spell of Angelina Jolie. So, maybe each of the next three movies that I will mention really sucked, but somehow, I was seduced: A Mighty Heart, The Good Shepard, Beyond Borders... and as a fourth, I kinda sorta liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Charlie Wilson's War (well acted, but maybe I liked it because it felt relatively real - that it was probably a relatively accurate portrayal of the events)

Sicko was a very important film for the US audience. You Canadians and Frenchmen, and others with sane national health policies can giggle at the US, as we're addicted to overpaying for our drugs and healthcare, and that's just for the half of our citizens that can afford any health care.

The Bourne Ultimatum was predictable and "Hollywood formula", so I probably shouldn't mention it, but some of the (superhuman) action scenes were fun to watch. Check your brain at the door, and you might enjoy it.

The Namesake had good acting - not the typical "over the top" hamming often seen.

If we're going back as far as City of God, let me go back to Memento as a really interesting film, worth renting if you have not seen it.

Dennis
{edit} just fixed a couple of typos
Last edited by Dennis Leahy on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another damn Yank!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm

maybe I can distress a couple of guitars and get a good price,

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:38 pm

I may have mentioned that Angelina Jolie caught my eye in a movie or two.

{just checking to see if Hesh is awake}

Dennis
Another damn Yank!